Export/Save to location where file is located.

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
SoundBulb
Operating System: Windows 10

Export/Save to location where file is located.

Post by SoundBulb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:31 am

I know that title might be confusing, so let me try to clarify it to the best of my ability.
I'm getting really tired of opening a file, working on it, and being done with it, ready to export... But I always have to find the location if it isn't the last location I exported in. I think it should detect where the file came from, making that the export location as well (obviously being allowed to change it while exporting if need be). It's not just an inconvenience but an annoyance as well. It takes up a good chunk of my time, as I work on multiple projects. This feature would be a GODSEND!

Also, changing the file format from something that isn't Wav back to Wav, the name changes to a bunch of Japanese or Chinese (probably Chinese) text.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Export/Save to location where file is located.

Post by steve » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:39 am

The next version of Audacity will offer more options for default file locations. See here for a preview: https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/ma ... references
SoundBulb wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:31 am
I think it should detect where the file came from,
That poses a number of problems:
1. It would make overwriting the source file the default, which is generally a bad idea because almost any mistake would then permanently destroy your work with no chance of recovery. It is recommended to always export as a new file and keep your original source file at least until you have checked that your exported file is correct.
2. It makes no sense for recordings.
3. It makes no sense for multi-track projects that may have files imported from multiple locations.

SoundBulb wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:31 am
Also, changing the file format from something that isn't Wav back to Wav, the name changes to a bunch of Japanese or Chinese (probably Chinese) text.
Puzzling :? Please start a new topic for that issue, and provide clear step of how to reproduce the problem.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

SoundBulb

Post by SoundBulb » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Well, it would be nice as an option that's disabled by default. I am fine with overwriting, and others that don't want to use it won't have to.

I swear I always get the "doesn't make sense" excuse.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 pm

steve wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:39 am
1. It would make overwriting the source file the default, which is generally a bad idea because almost any mistake would then permanently destroy your work with no chance of recovery. It is recommended to always export as a new file and keep your original source file at least until you have checked that your exported file is correct.
The "safety" recommendation of disallowing file write over is simply an obstacle to using Audacity in tandem with any digital audio workstation.
All other editors allow this basic command. Like, don't worry about my files bro, just give me "save (write over)" in the same directory and format as the original file. Please. After all the years. It's not the fault of the program if users make mistakes.
Why shut out out millions of potential users?

wpostma

Post by wpostma » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:41 pm

Here's a third request for the same basic thing. Work like Microsoft Paint, and Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Office, and every other FILE editing program out there, by default, instead of being kind of a DAW and kind of a WAV file editor and kinda not.

I would suggest that a low effort in place "save all to original files" feature, which skips tracks that don't have the original format, and won't work to save MP3 files, if the MP3 encoder isn't ionstalled, but at least will always default EACH exported track to the FOLDER where it originally was opened from, if it was opened and imported would make LOTS of people happy.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:14 am

dna598 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 pm
The "safety" recommendation of disallowing file write over is simply an obstacle to using Audacity in tandem with any digital audio workstation.
All other editors allow this basic command
You're late to this particular party.
With current versions of Audacity you can overwrite the imported file.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:17 am

wpostma wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:41 pm
Here's a third request for the same basic thing. Work like Microsoft Paint, and Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Office, and every other FILE editing program out there, by default, instead of being kind of a DAW and kind of a WAV file editor and kinda not.
Don't you think that this is a bit like complaining to Microsoft that PowerPoint doesn't behave like NotePad? What about people that actually want a multi-track audio recorder and editor rather than just an audio file editor?

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:32 am

steve wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:14 am
dna598 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 pm
All other editors allow this basic command
You're late to this particular party.
With current versions of Audacity you can overwrite the imported file.
Thanks Steve, I am aware of that, but I specified "in the same directory and format as the imported file". Export audio requires finding the original file path, which can change for any new file. Having preset file paths available to save to does not help.

Just to make you clear of what i am trying to do:

Open the file in Audacity from the DAW. (File goes offline in DAW)
Edit file in audacity.
Save (export audio from audacity) with one click. (no manually looking for the file path).
Re-focus DAW (File goes online in DAW).

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:00 am

dna598 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:32 am
Edit file in audacity.
Save (export audio from audacity) with one click. (no manually looking for the file path).
For that to work, the imported file would need to become the default export file. I don't think it's likely that the developers will go for that as a mainstream option because of the risk to less sophisticated users of permanently overwriting their source files without warning.

As an alternative, how about the possibility of a plug-in?
It could work like this (the key combinations could be anything, I'm just using the current Audacity defaults)
  1. "Shift + Ctrl + i" opens an import plug-in.
    Select the required file and import it.
  2. "Shift + Ctrl + e" exports the project (via a second plug-in) and overwrites the original file.
I've not tested this idea, but I think it's possible.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:31 am

steve wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:00 am
dna598 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:32 am
Edit file in audacity.
For that to work, the imported file would need to become the default export file. I don't think it's likely that the developers will go for that as a mainstream option because of the risk to less sophisticated users of permanently overwriting their source files without warning.

As an alternative, how about the possibility of a plug-in?
It could work like this (the key combinations could be anything, I'm just using the current Audacity defaults)
  1. "Shift + Ctrl + i" opens an import plug-in.
    Select the required file and import it.
  2. "Shift + Ctrl + e" exports the project (via a second plug-in) and overwrites the original file.
I've not tested this idea, but I think it's possible.
I tried that and no, it is not a solution. For starters i said i am opening the file from the DAW.

The solution is getting the computer to store the file path of the imported files, and providing "export (overwrite source "D:Audio files\something.wav")" for the selected track.
I don't think it's likely that the developers will go for that as a mainstream option because of the risk to less sophisticated users of permanently overwriting their source files without warning.
You keep saying that. Are you aware that all the commercial mainstream editors do this? Stop coddling the user, and let us use the program.