Lock the toolbars

It would be grand if the toolbars could be locked. There were many a times when I accidentally click on one of the toolbar handles in the front, and mess up their layout and disturb my workflow, and since the UI is a bit buggy at times in Audacity, it’s hard to get them to their original spot. Is there any way to implement a setting to lock the toolbars? Or at least to reset their position to the default?

There’s no way to lock the toolbars, but they can easily be reset:
“View menu > Toolbars > Reset Toolbars”

I wrote a proposal for suchlike in the Audacity Wiki a while back:
https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Proposal:_GUI_Custom_Resets_for_Toolbar_Layouts

Sadly no developer has fount the time or inclination to pick this up.

Peter

Since this proposed feature clearly doesn’t get enough attention, I’d just like to add my vote for a toolbar locking option. I’ve been using Audacity regularly for about 7 years, and not once in all that time have I ever had a desire to change the layout of my toolbars after initially positioning everything the way I wanted it. Unfortunately, at least once or twice a day I end up clicking on the grabber and shifting a toolbar to a different spot by mistake. More often than not, I’m trying to click the Selection Tool but end up moving the whole Audacity Tools Toolbar to a different line, thus shifting every other toolbar. It doesn’t matter that I can reset all the toolbars; going through and removing all of the ones I don’t use would require more effort than just carefully dragging the misplaced toolbar back where it belongs.

It’s basically a minor annoyance I have to deal with constantly that seems like it would be very easy to fix. I would be eternally grateful if someone could get on it!

I’m not at all against this proposed feature, in fact if the toolbars could be locked then I think they should probably be locked by default (unlock the toolbars if you want to customise the layout), but I don’t understand how they can be moved “accidentally”.

I tend to be a bit clumsy, and I’m no maestro of the mouse, but I don’t recall ever having accidentally moved a toolbar. How do you do that? Does it require a special mouse or a mouse with sticky buttons? :confused:

I’ve logged your vote.

There is also a P2 bug logged for this - not fixed for the upcoming 3.0.0 - but hopefully may be fixed for the following release.

https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2663
Audacity can make unwanted moves of toolbars

Peter.

Sometimes it’s important that the toolbars do move, for example when you are resizing the Audacity Window.

A locked layout may not sit well with window resizing.

Peter.

It would be awesome if there was a toolbar lock option…when recording interviews with skype, the moment I call on skype and come back to Audacity, every toolbar is piled one on top of the other, which is a pain to move around when your short on time.

I vote for a toolbar lock feature…please!! :slight_smile:

That sounds like a bug.
Which version of Audacity are you using, on what platform (what’s your operating system)?