Allow configuring mouse wheel to scroll horizontally

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
audentis
Operating System: Windows 10

Allow configuring mouse wheel to scroll horizontally

Post by audentis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am

Greetings,

Currently the mouse actions are not configurable.
However, I'd like to scroll horizontally with the mouse wheel and use control+mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

Thanks in advance!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Allow configuring mouse wheel to scroll horizontally

Post by steve » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am

"Shift + Mouse wheel" to scroll horizontally.
"Ctrl + Mouse wheel" to zoom.

Most users find these bindings to be useful, and with a little practice, easy to use. Although it should be "possible" to change these key bindings, doing so could have unwelcome consequences because scroll behaviours are bound to multiple actions. For example, mouse wheel scroll is bound to scrolling the track window up down (when there are multiple tracks), and scrolling numbers up and down (in time controls), and scrolling choices up and down (in multi-choice controls), and probably other things up and down.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

audentis

Post by audentis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:58 am

steve wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am
"Shift + Mouse wheel" to scroll horizontally.
"Ctrl + Mouse wheel" to zoom.

Most users find these bindings to be useful, and with a little practice, easy to use. Although it should be "possible" to change these key bindings, doing so could have unwelcome consequences because scroll behaviours are bound to multiple actions. For example, mouse wheel scroll is bound to scrolling the track window up down (when there are multiple tracks), and scrolling numbers up and down (in time controls), and scrolling choices up and down (in multi-choice controls), and probably other things up and down.
First of all, thanks your response.

I am aware of shift-key modifier, but in my use that remains cumbersome. I rarely ever have projects where I need vertical scrolling, because usually I'm working with no more than 5 mono tracks. That makes the default scroll wheel functionality literally useless to me.

The reason I italicized in your quote is a purely technical one. From my own programming experience I understand this will make implementing my request more time consuming, but then again from a user perspective this feels arbitrary. In more general terms, from a user perspective it's strange (and mildly annoying) that none of the mouse button configurations are rebindable, but horizontal scrolling is the one that most stands out to me.

I fully understand you have to make a trade off in how you invest your resources (including time), but having the option to scroll sideways without shift would be incredibly appreciated by me.

In closing, thank you for your consideration. I'll rest my case, unless you happen to appreciate the discussion or have any further questions about my perspective.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm

OK, I just wanted to ensure that you were aware of the modifier key options.
I've logged your interest in configurable mouse bindings on the "Feature request" page of the Audacity wiki.

ginobean
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by ginobean » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:13 pm

It seems like it would be a fairly simple matter to have Audacity pick up the mouse settings from the audacity.cfg file, as it's already picking up the keyboard redefinitions from that file.

Re: "For example, mouse wheel scroll is bound to scrolling the track window up down (when there are multiple tracks), and scrolling numbers up and down (in time controls), and scrolling choices up and down (in multi-choice controls), and probably other things up and down."

It should be a fairly simple matter to decouple these mouse behaviors, by adding these abstractions (as an example):

ScrollTrackWindowUp=<shift mousewheel-up>
ScrollTrackWindowDown=<shift mousewheel-down>

ScrollTimeControlNumbersUp=<shift mousewheel-up>
ScrollTimControlNumbersDown=<shift mousewheel-down>

ScrollChoicesUp=<shift mousewheel-up>
ScrollChoicesDown=<shift mousewheel-down>

ScrollTimelineLeft=<mousewheel-up>
ScrollTimelineRight=<mousewheel-down>

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 pm

ginobean wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:13 pm
It should be a fairly simple matter to decouple these mouse behaviors, by adding these abstractions
Audacity is open source software. Is this a feature that you can develop yourself?

Edgar
Forum Crew

Post by Edgar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:02 am

audentis wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am
I'd like to scroll horizontally with the mouse wheel and use control+mouse wheel to zoom in and out.
I have a client for whom I make this change with every major Audacity release. Ignoring the code which displays it as a non-standard Audacity, there's only a couple of lines of code to change. My client doesn't want a preference but that would only add a couple of more lines of code.

+1 for making mousing and gesturing completely user-configurable.
-Edgar
running Audacity personally customized 2.0.6 daily in a professional audio studio
occasionally using current Audacity alpha for testing and support situations
64-bit Windows Pro 10

konst007
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by konst007 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Hello!
Anything new on this topic?
I would also love to configure horizontal scroll without a modifier key, just by mouse wheel, even sacrificing the vertical scroll.
And I cannot program it myself, unfortunately. Does it really need to be that restrictive?
Thank you very much in advance.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Wed May 12, 2021 10:00 am

One workaround for this is to use a Mac with a Magic Mouse

There you can get horizontal scrolling with a L/R gesture on the Magic Mouse

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

konst007
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by konst007 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am

Thank you for the workaround proposal, unfortunately I don't have a Mac.
Apart of that, I am much and frequently switching between Kdenlive (scrolling by wheel) and Audacity (Ctrl-wheel), and it takes an unjustified amount of attention. Still - does it need to be that restrictive? Just why?
Again, I'm absolutely delighted by Audacity and the effort put by the team in its development.