Save Noise Profile

Apparently, Effect > Equalization hangs onto the last known good curve until it’s changed.

Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile might do that. I’ve had multiple similar clips to noise reduce but only some of them had convenient Room Tone.

Koz

Wouldn’t it be better if the effect could work out the noise floor from a single application of the effect rather than two applications?

My version does . The only caveat is that you have to make sure that all of the controls are adjusted appropriately before taking the noise sample. “Undo” is your friend.

Wouldn’t it be better if the effect could work out the noise floor from a single application of the effect rather than two applications?

Yes, but in my example, I would get wildly different results from clips taken from one performance. In one clip missing room tone, it might try to use my voice as Profile because that’s the quietest thing in the clip.

This is the same thing that occasionally kills ACX Check. “Why do I suddenly have -20dB noise floor instead of the expected -65dB?”

Because in this clip, you never shut up long enough to find Room Tone.

You could use a completely different Profile technique, such as how cellphones work. Any sound present for the whole clip is probably noise.

Can you do both?

Reduce? [OK (from selected Profile) | AUTO (you figure it out)]

Koz

I can see Koz’ point here - but I would prefer it to be able to store several noise profiles for recall and use e.g.

1. Room noise floor
  2. BBC FM carrier hiss
  3. Website carrier hiss
    Rather like we can save/restore many EQ curves for deployment in the Equalization effect

But I too would like to see us able to redesign the effect so you only invoke it once - rather than the clumsy two visits one has to make now.

Peter.

To apply same noise reduction profile to mutiple tracks, i do the below

1. Import track1 containing noise sample.
  2. Select noise sample from that track1
  3. Select Effect/Noise Reduction/GetNoiseSample

optional A) Select Effect/Noise Reduction
B) Adjust levels in step 2 and preview

1. Import additional tracks
  2. Select all of the imported tracks by clicking inside any track and crtl+A
  3. Select Effect/Noise Reduction/Reduce and OK

This will apply the noise sample to all selected tracks.

Works great for concerts where tracks have already been split from the same source.

1. Room noise floor
  2. BBC FM carrier hiss
  3. Website carrier hiss

The Current Noise Profile is Saint Babadook Sackbut Recital.

1. Make New Profile
  2. Save Current
  3. Presets

One of the presets is “Auto.”

Koz

Not as default, no. All Audiobook chapters need to match.

Koz