Allow configuring mouse wheel to scroll horizontally

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Allow configuring mouse wheel to scroll horizontally

Post by steve » Wed May 12, 2021 7:28 pm

konst007 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am
and Audacity (Ctrl-wheel)
Audacity uses (unmodified) mouse wheel scrolling for vertical scroll (like most other apps), hence the use of a modifier key ("Shift") for horizontal scrolling, (and "Ctrl + mouse wheel" for zoom).

If you need to scroll a long way, you can drag the scroll bar below the tracks.
If you need to scroll a short way, you can click on the waveform and drag a selection beyond the edge of the tracks window.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

konst007
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by konst007 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Dear Steve, dear Waxcylinder,
Thank you for your proposals, I did read the explanations and workaround proposals in the thread above, and I am aware about what I can do when i need to scroll.
But I also read in this thread, that I am apparently not the only one, who would like to have this flexibility, and one can read the reasoning about it in the thread. It is not about changing a feature, but rather about adding flexibility, because I (along with some others, apparently) am not perfectly happy with the things that I can do now.
It seems, that an implementation might be not as difficult, because apparently Edgar (in this thread above) does it.
I would do it myself if I could, or I will learn it and do, though, being a chemist I'd prefer to do chemistry and let the programmers program rather than other way around - just for sake of productivity...

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed May 12, 2021 10:36 pm

konst007 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 pm
But I also read in this thread, that I am apparently not the only one, who would like to have this flexibility, and one can read the reasoning about it in the thread. It is not about changing a feature, but rather about adding flexibility, because I (along with some others, apparently) am not perfectly happy with the things that I can do now.
I think we'd all like to see customisable mouse bindings, but someone needs to write the code to do that, with the current version of Audacity, and submit it as a pull request. That hasn't happened yet.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)