I need to compile 2.0 - but failed at first hurdle

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

I need to compile 2.0 - but failed at first hurdle

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gretch » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:52 pm

I want to record multiple channels (4), so (it seems) I have to (for the first time in my life) compile a program ;-(!!

I found this page: https://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/win/compile.txt
which hopefully tells me what to do (accept that its says it's for 2.0.0 alpha, but latest version seems to be 2.0.6)

But where is the source code for 2.0.6? (I'm on Win XP SP3)
This page: http://audacityteam.org/download/source says go here: http://audacityteam.org/community/developers#svn then here: http://code.google.com/p/audacity/source/checkout

And eventually here: https://code.google.com/p/audacity/
Which says:
Use this command to anonymously check out the latest project source code:
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only


My browser is Chrome v35.

I tried entering into the command line:
svn checkout http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only
then when that didnt work:
http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only

Didnt work either.

Where/how do I download the source?
Or could someone help me some other way please.

Thanks for any help.

PS I have a Phonic 12 connected by Firewire to provide the channels.
Gretch
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: I need to compile 2.0 - but failed at first hurdle

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Gretch wrote:I want to record multiple channels (4), so (it seems) I have to (for the first time in my life) compile a program ;-(!!

Or just use commercial software that supports ASIO out of the box.

Gretch wrote:I found this page: https://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/win/compile.txt
which hopefully tells me what to do (accept that its says it's for 2.0.0 alpha, but latest version seems to be 2.0.6)

No it says it's for 2.1.0-alpha which is the upcoming release we're working on.

Gretch wrote:But where is the source code for 2.0.6? (I'm on Win XP SP3)
This page: http://audacityteam.org/download/source says go here: http://audacityteam.org/community/developers#svn then here: http://code.google.com/p/audacity/source/checkout

And eventually here: https://code.google.com/p/audacity/
Which says:
Use this command to anonymously check out the latest project source code:
# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only

My browser is Chrome v35.

I tried entering into the command line:
svn checkout http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only
then when that didnt work:
http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only

Didnt work either.

To run an SVN command you need an SVN client. TortoiseSVN is the simplest, and it's free.

Note that
Code: Select all
svn checkout http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/trunk/ audacity-read-only

will checkout the latest 2.1.0-alpha code. You may not want that because there are unfinshed features and at least one known unfixed crash.

So I would suggest instead:
Code: Select all
svn checkout http://audacity.googlecode.com/svn/audacity-src/tags/Audacity_2_0_6 audacity-read-only

which gets you the source code for 2.0.6 release.

Gretch wrote:I have a Phonic 12 connected by Firewire to provide the channels.

Do you mean this http://www.phonic.com/en/helix-board-12-plus.html? If so are you updated with the firmware and drivers from https://phonic.app.box.com/shared/vd668kal7p/1/51402793 and have you already tried to see if you have multiple channels or a "Multi" device that you can choose in Audacity?


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26087
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: I need to compile 2.0 - but failed at first hurdle

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gretch » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks for your info.

I would like to stay with Audacity, as I've used and liked it for several years.

I've just tried to install TortoiseSVN, but it give the message.

....You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service.


I'm on Win XP SP3 - and there isnt a newer SP is there?

Is there somewhere I can ftp the source from?
Gretch
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: I need to compile 2.0 - but failed at first hurdle

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Gretch wrote:I've just tried to install TortoiseSVN, but it give the message.

....You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service.


I'm on Win XP SP3 - and there isnt a newer SP is there?

Is there somewhere I can ftp the source from?

If you want to compile apps you'll need to get used to using your favourite search engine ;)

According to http://tortoisesvn.net/faq.html#installerror, TortoiseSVN requires at least version 3 of the MSI installer. XP SP3 supports version 4.5 of the MSI installer, so try downloading and installing that from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26087
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: I need to compile 2.0 - but failed at first hurdle

Permanent link to this post Posted by cmjone » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Please see the thread right below yours posted by cmjone.
cmjone
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 am
Operating System: Windows 10


Return to Compiling Audacity



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests