FFmpeg download Catch-22

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: FFmpeg download Catch-22

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:41 am

Gale Andrews wrote:
Ed wrote:[...]I think you already have something appropriate on Bugzilla for issue 2.
http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342

I think this may be pertinent to bug 342; take a look at this image:
FFmpeg.png
FFmpeg.png (204.67 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Note that even though Audacity's preferences has it correctly "spelled", on this rare occasion (in this case it is 2.0.5 Release) where Audacity can't seem to find the FFmpeg library the dialog as a mangled filename string. Going through the Browse button and choosing the appropriate DLL did not resolve the issue. I had to manually type complete, correctly qualified path and filename with extension to get it to recognize the library. I have no idea why this occurred but if I am ever in the debugger when it happens I will try to figure out what happened.

I only noticed this because I have a new, larger monitor on which i can (just barely) read the tiny font of this dialog.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:24 am

Edgar wrote:Note that even though Audacity's preferences has it correctly "spelled", on this rare occasion (in this case it is 2.0.5 Release) where Audacity can't seem to find the FFmpeg library the dialog as a mangled filename string. Going through the Browse button and choosing the appropriate DLL did not resolve the issue. I had to manually type complete, correctly qualified path and filename with extension to get it to recognize the library.

I think that is something peculiar to your development environment, Ed, or a very rare moonphase bug I've never heard of where the "Locate" dialogue doesn't read audacity.cfg properly. If I mangle the path to FFmpeg in .cfg, the "Locate" dialogue accurately repeats the mangled path.

Typing in the "Locate" dialogue should have no effect whatsoever in the current code. So that path should be made uneditable, IMHO.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:I think that is something peculiar to your development environment

"peculiar" – the perfect word <grin>!
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Previous

Return to Compiling Audacity