Building Audacity 3.0.3 with ASIO on Windows

Hello all,

I am currently trying to compile Audacity 3.0.3 with ASIO. Unfortunately without much success.

Perhaps someone could answer the following questions for me:

Is ASIO still supported in Audacity 3.0.3 at all? I can’t find any references to ASIO support in the information (BUILDING.md) for compiling Audacity.

If ASIO is still supported, in which version of Audacity is this the case? In the 32bit, in the 64bit or even in both?

Which version of Python and CMake do I need, 32bit or 64bit? Does this depend on the version of Audacity I want?

I would be grateful for any help.

Many greetings
Christian

1 Like

Answers to these and all compiling related questions can be asked and answered on discord: https://discord.gg/kdrFa8vk
Checkout channel Windows (COMPILING AUDACITY)

Can you provide a new Discord invite? The one above seems to be expired.

This one should last a little longer: https://discord.gg/qEfAcmKDj3

I did get the latest audacity source to compile with ASIO support. The below instructions are for noobs like myself.
I started with a fresh Windows installation and installed the following software:
Visual Studio 19, version 16.11.15, Desktop development with C++ workload
CMake-gui 3.21.4
Python 3.10.0
conan 1.41.00
git 2.33.1
When installing the above , when there is choice to add the software to the Windows PATH variable then do so. After installing the software above, the steps to compile with ASIO support is as follows:

1. create a directory for the audacity source (i.e. c:\audacity)
  2. create a directory for the build output (i.e. c:\audacity-build)
  3. open a command shell in the audacity source directory
  4. enter “git clone https://github.com/audacity/audacity/
  5. start CMake-gui
  6. select the source directory (i.e. c:\audacity) using the “Browse Source…” button
  7. select the build output directory (i.e. c:\audacity-build) using the “Browse Build…” button.
  8. Add a BOOL entry (using the “+ Add Entry” button) called “audacity_has_asio_support” and set its value to be checked.
  9. Click on the “Configure” button. Wait until it is finished.
  10. Click on the “Configure” button again. Wait until it is finished.
  11. Click on the “Generate” button. Wait until it is finished.
  12. Click on the “Open Project” button. Visual Studio 19 should start.
  13. In Visual Studio 19, select “Build” then “Build Solution”.
1 Like

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting your solution. I am sure it will prove to be valuable to others. :smiley:

1 Like

thanks. it worked for me too

Following steps above, how do I resolve these errors in CMake “Configure”? Where do I find conan installer? This on Win 10 x64. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, found conan. Trying again…
EDIT2: Still got errors, but this process reminded me that I am not ready to upgrade to x64 Audacity as I have a few VST plugins that are x86. Sorry for the confusion.

Admin: Feel free to delete this post. I tried, but prohibited.

This is a great post!!
What surprises me is it doesn’t seem to need C:\asiosdk_2.3.3 to be created and set in the environment variables?
I also needed to move c:\audacity\audacity to c:\audacity before running CMake.
And by default Debug is selected in Visual Studio 19 you may want to change to the Release Version before compiling.

Aside from these this post is dead on an easy to follow!!! And no missing DLL’s either!

1 Like

Thanks for this update. :smiley:

I was able to use this to compile Audacity! I can now use my old UA-101 and UA-1000 to record multiple microphones!

I have a question though. After compiling, I found the .exe in the C:\audacity-build\Debug folder. I was also able to copy the whole debug folder to another Windows 10 computer and open it there. Did I do that right? or is there a better way? Thanks for your help!

A couple of updates during the compiling process: I needed to use Visual Studio 2022 17 and I had to downgrade my conan to version 1.59. 0

It sounds like your build configuration may be set to “Debug” mode instead of “Release” mode. The .exe is normally posted to the ~\Release folder when the project is correctly set to “Release” mode in the build configuration.