Speaker output not an option with ASIO

I was able to compile Audacity with ASIO. I am able to connect to my Midas X32 board via USB. However, the playback is also set to ASIO (going back to my mixer) and there are no other options. If I select WASPI I can choose my computer speakers as output. Is this something specific to ASIO? I’d love to be able to hear what I am recording in real-time.

Yes.

Plug your headphones into the Midas X32.

sure, I can plug into the mixer but I need a separate mix in Audacity.

Does the Midas X32 not have a way to monitor what it is receiving from USB?

If it does, I can’t figure it out. I’m hitting a separate forum to find an answer. Thanks for your input on the Audacity front.

Is this something specific to ASIO? I

Your regular soundcard doesn’t have ASIO drivers. You can try http://www.asio4all.org.
(Note that ASIO4ALL adapts hardware, not software. It doesn’t make the regular version of Audacity work with ASIO hardware/drivers so you still need the special ASIO compile of Audacity.)

OK, so what is happening is that while Audacity may be able to record multiple input channels simultaneously, it does not send out multiple channels to your device. Instead, what Audacity will do is mix the channels and send a mono or stereo signal out.

On my machine, when I have an XR18, plugged in, the stereo output is sent to channels 1 and 2, of the mixer. None of the other devices on my machine have ASIO drivers, so the XR18 is the only device available for either input or output.

As you have discovered, if you choose any other host than ASIO, you will find other devices (such as you computer speakers) available. But then, you lose you Midas. :frowning: Enter DVDdoug:

So on my machine, when I add ASIO4All to my Audacity built w/ASIO, then magically, Audacity will play through my speakers when I set ASIO4All as my output device. :smiley: I don’t have to change my Host and lose all of my ASIO channel settings.

So, I tried setting software playthough to my speakers (via ASIO4All) and audacity would not play (I mean record). Instead it gave me a device error.

Next I tried audacity software playthrough back to my mixer (channel 1 and 2). Even though this played while recording (i.e., the speaker meters indicated audio output) , nothing came through to the mixer; In fact, Audacity crashed shortly thereafter. :frowning: Good Luck. :smiley: