In WAY over my head

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Renamesk
Operating System: Windows 10

In WAY over my head

Post by Renamesk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:45 am

Hi there!

I have no idea what I'm doing really! I bought a Behringer set-up and have always used Audacity so I figured I'd take a shot at following the instructions on the wiki, but I was completely lost as I've never done any sort of coding before and I'm certainly no developer. The only youtube video that talks about compiling asio4all in audible is literally a guy saying "wow that seems tough, good luck" pretty much.

I hate asking for help, and tried to use these 3 threads as possible solutions to my pain:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=111136
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=109779
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=108600

However, I'm apparently unable to get Windows Visual Studio 2017 without a subscription, so I'm stuck with 2019, thus the CMD code and the pdf were a little unhelpful. I'm really unsure of what to do and am hoping there's a kind soul out there that'll give me a hand.

Warmly,
Renamesk

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: In WAY over my head

Post by steve » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:06 am

Renamesk wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:45 am
I'm apparently unable to get Windows Visual Studio 2017 without a subscription
Have you tried registering for a free Microsoft developer account?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Renamesk

Post by Renamesk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Okay that worked! Awesome. Now I'm going to try a solution that the wonderfully kind Steve Lee proposed on Github. Will keep y'all posted!

Renamesk

Post by Renamesk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:26 pm

UPDATE:

So I got some guidance from Steve Lee again in the second link that I shared (if you're here Steve, thank you!). The steps I've followed thus far, verbatim as he described them are:

install Visual Studio 2017
open a windows cmd terminal
mkdir and cd to C:\projects
run the git clone commands manually (I guess they could be added to the script but I left it flexible)
Unzip ASIO to C:\projects\ASIOSDK
save the script as build-audacity.cmd and run it

I should mention that since I've never saved a script before, I just took copy pasted the script into windows cmd rather than saving it and running it. If that's where I goofed, then that's a relief because that's easily fixable.

Here's what happened when I did copy paste it, though:
A lot of things that I don't understand!

Most significantly though:
MSBUILD : error MSB1009: Project file does not exist.
Switch: audacity.sln

If anyone can assist, I'd really appreciate it. I'm unemployed right now due to corona but I'd be happy to write you a song or something. :)