wxWidgets 3.1.3 - Windows Build

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
micsthepick
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: wxWidgets 3.1.3 - Windows Build

Post by micsthepick » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:48 pm

Looking at the differences between 2.4.1 and 2.4.2.
From audacity/CMakeLists.txt: Audacity uses Python3 (3.7.7) rather than Python2, like win/build.txt claims.
A 64 bit build is now selected by default if available.
From audacity/cmake-proxies/wxWidgets/CMakeLists.txt, the required components are adv, base, core, html net, and qa.
From audicty/win:
there used to be a packages.config, which would include Gettext.Tools, which appears to be still referenced in the failing modules even though that file only ever existed in Audacity-2.4.1
finally, It appears as if the reason that the ASIO SDK is not getting found is because the whole win/Projects folder is missing from Audacity-2.4.1, but win/Projects/portaudio-v19/portaudio-v19.vcxproj is the only result from git grep ASIOSDK_DIR

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 am

Unfortunately, at the time Audacity 2.4.2 was released, support for building with ASIO was not ready, so Audacity 2.4.2 was released without it. The ability to build with ASIO support will return in the next Audacity release.

In the meantime, one of the Audacity developers has kindly written a patch for Audacity 2.4.2. The patch is available in this post: viewtopic.php?p=400118#p400118
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

roadsterUK
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: wxWidgets 3.1.3 - Windows Build Audacity 2.4.2

Post by roadsterUK » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:25 am

Well I gave it my best shot but it was a bit of a disaster.
Started with a new windows 10 computer and the latest instructions, attempting to follow to the letter. I wanted to build the released version of 2.4.2 but not sure if this is what I actually downloaded. wxWidgets eventually went OK although if you follow the help file trail you get to many different alternatives so I used the command line method with the modifiers recommended for a 32 bit released DLL build.

Then we come to Python. I have never previously used the version of Python recommended but I'm not sure if that is relevant to Windows, the instructions are very vague on that. I did my best to download the Github tools but again many different options which are not very helpful if this is the only application you will ever want to build.

Then cmake. There is a command line cmake in visual studio community edition but there is no cmake-gui, so I downloaded and installed cmake ( latest version ) to get this. At this point everything went pretty much pear shaped, mainly because I had no idea what I was doing!

The basic procedure used to be fairly straightfoward and reasonably documented. Download wxWidgets, unzip and run the appropriate SLN to get 32 bit dlls as required. Set a couple of environment variables. Download the audacity source in zip format using the branch and/or tag which gives the version you want. Run the appropriate SLN to get the released 32 bit version of audacity. I am not sure why this has been abandoned but I hope its just temporary. ( Could it be linux fixation? )

Call me lazy but I'll be sticking with version 2.4.1 for now.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am

roadsterUK wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:25 am
Could it be linux fixation?
Quite the reverse. I think I'm the only member of Audacity Team to use Linux as my primary OS. All other team members primarily use Windows 10 or macOS.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)