File Not Found During FileDialog Build

I’m attempting to build Audacity from source. I’ve cloned the repo form GitHub, and following the instructions in https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/building-audacity-2-4-1-on-debian-ubuntu-mint/57108/1 I run into the following error:

[ 41%] Building CXX object cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/__/__/lib-src/FileDialog/FileDialog.cpp.o
c++: error: value-NOTFOUND: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/build.make:83: cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/__/__/lib-src/FileDialog/FileDialog.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2079: cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:150: all] Error 2

The “cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release …” command appears to execute just fine, and it is during the actual build that I run into the issue above.

I’m guessing there is just a basic dependency problem, but I’m not familiar enough the code base so I’m struggling to find where I went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I’ve not yet tried building on Debian. Which version are you using?

10.4 “buster”

Upon further review, with a make -j4, some other errors popped up with other targets:

[ 75%] Building C object cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/__/__/lib-src/libid3tag/compat.c.o
[ 75%] Building C object cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/__/__/lib-src/libid3tag/crc.c.o
cc: error: value-NOTFOUND: No such file or directory
cc: error: value-NOTFOUND: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/build.make:83: cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/__/__/lib-src/libid3tag/compat.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/build.make:96: cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/__/__/lib-src/libid3tag/crc.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2257: cmake-proxies/libid3tag/CMakeFiles/libid3tag.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 75%] Building CXX object cmake-proxies/lib-widget-extra/CMakeFiles/lib-widget-extra.dir/__/__/lib-src/lib-widget-extra/NonGuiThread.cpp.o
make[2]: *** [cmake-proxies/lib-widget-extra/CMakeFiles/lib-widget-extra.dir/build.make:83: cmake-proxies/lib-widget-extra/CMakeFiles/lib-widget-extra.dir/__/__/lib-src/lib-widget-extra/NonGuiThread.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2141: cmake-proxies/lib-widget-extra/CMakeFiles/lib-widget-extra.dir/all] Error 2
[ 75%] Building CXX object cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/__/__/lib-src/FileDialog/FileDialog.cpp.o
[ 75%] Building CXX object cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/__/__/lib-src/FileDialog/gtk/FileDialogPrivate.cpp.o
make[2]: *** [cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/build.make:83: cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/__/__/lib-src/FileDialog/FileDialog.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/build.make:96: cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/__/__/lib-src/FileDialog/gtk/FileDialogPrivate.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2079: cmake-proxies/FileDialog/CMakeFiles/FileDialog.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:150: all] Error 2

I also re-ran cmake and snagged the output in a text file, it complains about a few missing libraries, but didn’t bail on any as fatal errors. The first was wxWidgets, which seems fine because it dutifully clones the repo as needed. The others were Webkit, gstreamer, and libsecret. I attached the full log.
cmake_output.txt (27 KB)

I have exactly the same issue. Help please.

Hello! I had the same issue as you and just managed to solve it. First, delete the build-cmake dir just to get sure it’s a clean install and then install all the dependencies listed at this Wiki entry. Which means:

apt install -y build-essential gcc-7 libsndfile1 libgtk2.0-dev libasound2-dev gettext python2.7-minimal libid3tag0-dev libavformat-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libmad0-dev libsoundtouch-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libflac-dev libmp3lame0

Don’t install cmake, as I assume you built it from source as specified in the installation guide.

Then, as I think our main problem was that cmake couldn’t properly locate wxWidgets, install it via apt:

apt install libwxgtk3.0 -y

Now just rebuild it creating the build-cmake directory and following the instructions provided at the linked wiki entry.

It worked for me. I hope it does for you too!