/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwx_baseu_net-3.1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwx_baseu-3.1
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [Makefile:3020: audacity] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/usr/local/bin/audacity/build/src’
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2160: all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/usr/local/bin/audacity/build/src’
make: *** [Makefile:782: all-recursive] Error 1

If you know what it is, please let me know!
Thank you!

The linker can’t find the required wx files.

Thanks Steve, I’ll look into fixing that! :nerd:

Hi, I encountered the same error on Debian. The problem was that Audacity tried to compile against wxWidgets version 3.1, which wasn’t properly installed. I chose to compile against version 3.0, as it is packaged by Debian whereas version 3.1 isn’t (see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919903).

I did several things, not sure which one solved the issue:

• Made sure there was no partial installation of wxWidgets 3.1 in the way (specifically, I had attempted one in ~/local)
  • Passed “–with-wx-version=3.0” to “…/configure”
  • Important: removed the entire build directory and created it again

But in the end I managed to build it against wxWidgets version 3.0. I hope this helps!

The current Audacity code should build correctly with wx3.0 or wx3.1. Audacity recommends wx3.1 as it fixes a number of issues in 3.0, particularly some accessibility issues. I sometimes build with one and sometimes the other (on Xubuntu 18.04) to check that both work.

Thanks for the explanations! Yeah, I used wxWidgets 3.0 because 3.1 is not packaged for Debian yet (cf https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919903).

That’s why Audacity still supports building with 3.0. The Windows / Mac devs would much prefer that we support 3.1 only, but we know that there’s close to zero chance that the package maintainers at Debian / Ubuntu / Mint will build Audacity with 3.1 at this time. Personally I’m looking forward to wx3.2, especially as (wxTrac has been migrated to GitHub Issues - wxWidgets):

One of the big planned changes for this 3.2 is better support for high DPI displays