How to run compiled Audacity on 2nd system

Audacity 2.2.2; Windows 10
Compiled Audacity with ASIO support running OK on development system. Now I need to run the compiled program on the laptop system I will use to do the recordings. Have tried copying all related directories to the new system, including wxWidget .dll files & msvcr120.dll and msvcp120.dll files, but still get error when running audacity.exe. Error: “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.”
Are there instructions for this process?
Thx
Tom

Don’t you have to compile the program on the machine running it? Doesn’t compiling give you a local machine specific program? There’s also something about distributing compiled software, even if it’s to yourself.

Koz

Those are exactly the questions I’m trying to get clarified. I’ve looked at the process for creating a copy for distribution, and a couple of the steps are well beyond my experience level, so I’m hoping to not have to go through that learning curve. I really don’t want to have to install the entire development platform on my laptop either.

There’s some old instructions for making a release build of Audacity for Windows: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Process/Win

To find where the problem lies:
First, try installing the official release version of Audacity on your laptop.
If that works:
Make a normal release build (without ASIO), and check that works on your laptop.
If that works:
Build Audacity with ASIO and see if that works on your laptop.
This will at least narrow down where the problem lies.

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the problem with ASIO is that the non-distributable agreement prevent making “all” of the required source code available for the ASIO enabled application, but the GPL license requires that “all” of the required source code is available. For own use, the person building Audacity with ASIO has a copy of the ASIO SDK (which they have agreed to not distribute or reverse engineer), therefore “they” may use their build on any machine, but they cannot give, loan, sell, lend, donate. hire … that build to anyone else because that would breach the Steinberg license, and/or the GPL license.

I presume that you have already checked that your sound card works with ASIO on your laptop?

Good input. Thank you.
First - I don’t have any technical problems at this point. I have, after some trials and tribulations, successfully compiled an ASIO capable Audacity 2.2.2. It is running fine on the system on which I installed the development platform and compiled the program. I have been using Audacity 2.2.2 on my laptop for some time now. What I haven’t been able to do successfully is to manually move/copy the ASIO capable program to a second system. I’ve looked at the “…Release_Process/Win” doc and will tackle that if necessary, but I want to make SURE there is no simpler way to get the ASIO capable program running on the laptop.
You raise an excellent question - what a bummer it would be if I solved the current dilemma only to discover the laptop isn’t compatible. The Steinberg UR44 mixer I’m trying to use comes with ASIO drivers and Cubase software. I think I’ll install that on the laptop just to make sure the hardware will work. I think it will - it’s a Surface Pro 3.
One of your last suggestions: “Build Audacity with ASIO and see if that works on your laptop” is exactly what I’m trying to figure out how to do, without installing the entire development platform on the laptop.

I didn’t catch the goal/job. Not the fuzzy goal, the actual product.

A large percent of common audio jobs can be done with normal Audacity and a little care in hardware. Running without ASIO may be inconvenient, but it’s not often fatal.

Koz

Yes, but in my post, that was the final step, after ironing out any problems that may occur in the previous steps.

kozikowski: The goal is to use Audacity on my laptop (Windows 10) to record up to 6 separate voice channels simultaneously (& on separate tracks). I can now do this on the system I used to compile Audacity with the ASIO SDK. All I need to do to complete the setup is to move the implementation from the system I built it on to my laptop, so that I can do these recordings at various locations (typically conference rooms in business offices). I know I could do this today using Cubase, but I really like Audacity.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/multi-channel-recording-in-audacity/15644/1

Many people have gotten plain Audacity to record multi-channel audio under specific hardware conditions.

Koz

There are conditions where ASIO is very desirable. If you want to overdub and don’t have a Zero Latency interface or device, then ASIO services are the only way to do perfect overdubbing—where you hear yourself in theatrically correct headphone sound while you’re performing.

But again, that can be fixed with hardware management.

Koz

Not necessarily. WASAPI is also capable of below 10 ms latency.
The thing about ASIO is that for pro / semi-pro hardware and software, ASIO has been supported for decades. If you buy a high quality audio device, you can pretty well guarantee that it will support ASIO.

Still looking for the missing link, to wit:
compile.txt contains the following: “Note that Audacity uses VC++'s multithreaded DLL runtime libraries. If you have MSVC installed, these are in your PATH, but users to whom you distribute your builds may not have them, so you may have to distribute them, as described for the wxWidgets DLLs, below.”
Of course, there is no reference to VC++ multithreaded DLL runtime libraries in the section on copying the wxWidget .dll files. So:
What does this mean?
Where do I find the VC++ multithreaded DLL runtime libraries?
Where do I put them?
Tom

You need to download the VC++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 from here
https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=visual%20studio%202013&wt.mc_id=o~msft~vscom~older-downloads
Might need to log in using a Microsoft account. Its probably easiest to just install the package on your target computer although you probably could hack it around to get the files you need.

So you’ve tried running the official release version of Audacity and it fails to run on your laptop?

That answer hints at another solution. Download and install the standard current release of audacity and copy the files
msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll to the same directory as your self-compiled executable.