Need clarification on ASIO SDK Installation

Windows 10, Audacity 2.2.2
Instructions say to download and install the ASIO SDK from Steinberg into C: \ASIOSDK2.3, then set the environment variable ASIOSDK_DIR=C:\ASIOSDK2.3
That seems pretty sketchy for someone who knows very little about this whole process… :slight_smile: Obviously, I’m not a programmer…
The asiosample.txt file that comes with the SDK says to drag and drop the asiosample.dll onto the regsvr32.exe file.
There is no asiosample.dll in the extracted files…, which I assume means I have to compile it using Visual Studio
Here’s what I’ve done:
Using VS Studio 2013, opened \ASIOSDK2.3\asio\asio.dsw and ran the Upgrade on the three files listed (asio.sln, asiosample.dsp, hostsample.dsp)
In VS Solution Explorer, set Active solution configuration to “Release” and then Built the “asio” solution, which created a new Release directory with asiosample.dll and a number of other files.
I then dragged this file and dropped it onto regsvr32.exe in the Windows\System32 directory and got the message: DLLRegisterServer in …\asiosample.dll succeeded.
Next I set an environment variable ASIOSDK_DIR=C:\ASIOSDK2.3
Are these the correct steps?
Am I done?
Do I need files in the SDK directory structure other than those in “…\Release”? Can I just clean out the \ASIOSDK2.3 structure and put the files that were in the Release folder into the \ASIOSDK2.3 folder? I am building this on a bench system, but will be using a laptop for doing the recordings, so I have to set up this compiled version of Audacity on a system other than the one that I am using to build it. I have the same question about which files I’ll need from the Audacity build/compile structure, and the WxWidgets structure.
Thx.
Tom

You do not need to do anything with the ASIO package except put it in a folder and point the environment variable at the folder. The audacity build environment just needs to find the required files during the solution build it doesn’t actually build an asio project as such. The instructions in compile.txt are all you need to follow.