How to run compiled Audacity on 2nd system

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: How to run compiled Audacity on 2nd system

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 pm

There are conditions where ASIO is very desirable. If you want to overdub and don't have a Zero Latency interface or device, then ASIO services are the only way to do perfect overdubbing—where you hear yourself in theatrically correct headphone sound while you're performing.

But again, that can be fixed with hardware management.

Koz

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 pm
If you want to overdub and don't have a Zero Latency interface or device, then ASIO services are the only way to do perfect overdubbing
Not necessarily. WASAPI is also capable of below 10 ms latency.
The thing about ASIO is that for pro / semi-pro hardware and software, ASIO has been supported for decades. If you buy a high quality audio device, you can pretty well guarantee that it will support ASIO.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

TomCMd
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by TomCMd » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Still looking for the missing link, to wit:
compile.txt contains the following: "Note that Audacity uses VC++'s multithreaded DLL runtime libraries. If you have MSVC installed, these are in your PATH, but users to whom you distribute your builds may not have them, so you may have to distribute them, as described for the wxWidgets DLLs, below."
Of course, there is no reference to VC++ multithreaded DLL runtime libraries in the section on copying the wxWidget .dll files. So:
What does this mean?
Where do I find the VC++ multithreaded DLL runtime libraries?
Where do I put them?
Tom

roadsterUK

Post by roadsterUK » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 am

TomCMd wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm
compile.txt contains the following: "Note that Audacity uses VC++'s multithreaded DLL runtime libraries. If you have MSVC installed, these are in your PATH, but users to whom you distribute your builds may not have them, so you may have to distribute them, as described for the wxWidgets DLLs, below."
Of course, there is no reference to VC++ multithreaded DLL runtime libraries in the section on copying the wxWidget .dll files. So:
What does this mean?
Where do I put them?
Tom
You need to download the VC++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 from here
https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q ... -downloads
Might need to log in using a Microsoft account. Its probably easiest to just install the package on your target computer although you probably could hack it around to get the files you need.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 am

TomCMd wrote:
What does this mean?
Where do I put them?
Tom
So you've tried running the official release version of Audacity and it fails to run on your laptop?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

roadsterUK

Post by roadsterUK » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:47 pm

steve wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 am
TomCMd wrote:
What does this mean?
Where do I put them?
Tom
So you've tried running the official release version of Audacity and it fails to run on your laptop?
That answer hints at another solution. Download and install the standard current release of audacity and copy the files
msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll to the same directory as your self-compiled executable.