Autotalent by Tom Baran

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.x.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Autotalent by Tom Baran

Post by steve » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:50 am

ChrisJennings wrote:I'm having so much trouble with this plug-in it's been driving me up the wall. I really could use your help.

As of right now, I cannot get audacity to recognize the plug-in, and I would love to know how to get it to work in audacity. I cannot even get it to show up in the Effects Menu after I’ve recorded something.

Could you be so kind as to inform me of how to set it up in Audacity, start to finish? I read that you’ve successfully done so and would love to do the same. I can run Linux on my computer as well as Windows and I’m more than willing to take all the time in the world to make this work.
Hi Chris, I only know about doing this on Linux, so I have posted your question here.

Download the source code from http://web.mit.edu/tbaran/www/autotalent.html (Version 0.1, 32-bit Linux: [tar.gz])

Extract the downloaded file to your home directory - you can use a graphical archive manager if you have one installed (Ubuntu has a graphical archive manager installed by default, so just double click on the .tar.gz file and follow the instructions to extract.)

You should now have a folder called "autotalent-0.1_Linux32" containing the pre-built autotalent.so file.

If you have previously installed any ladspa effects (such as the swh-plugins - highly recommended and available in Synaptic) you will have a folder /usr/lib/ladspa/
Simply copy or move the autotalen.so file into that folder.

Restart Audacity (you may first need to log out/log in of your Linux session - I don't remember if this is necessary).

Look in the effects menu and you should now see the Autotalent effect listed.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

ChrisJennings
Operating System: Please select

Re: Autotalent by Tom Baran

Post by ChrisJennings » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:47 pm

i have successfully downloaded the .so file and extracted the folder to /home where it now resides. the .so file is within the folder, and as of right now, refuses to budge. every time i try to drag it anywhere that is not my /home/chris file, the system is telling me that i don't have permission to do so. "Error moving file: Permission denied"

also, i don't have a usr/lib/ladspa folder, because I'm very new to Linux and am having trouble downloading ladspa files and placing them in the correct spot. '

i feel very much like an idiot, but again, i could use your help. please and thank you.

Eternally in your debt,
Chris Jennings

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:59 am

Use Synaptic to install "swh-plugins". There are a lot of very useful effects in this lot and it should also sort out creating the usr/lib/ladspa folder.
You can then either use the command line to move the .so file, or move it in Nautilus (the default file browser in Ubuntu) or any other file browser, but because you are making a change outside of your home directory you must do it as "sudo" (super-user).

In a Terminal window type

Code: Select all

sudo mv autotalent.so /usr/lib/ladspa/autotalent.so
You will be prompted for your password.

To do it in a graphical environment you can open Nautilus with super user access by typing into a terminal window

Code: Select all

sudo nautilus
enter your password when prompted. Close Nautilus when you are done - remember that you have opened Nautilus as super user, so it is possible to change or delete system files which would be a very bad idea.

ChrisJennings

Post by ChrisJennings » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:40 am

HOLY S*** THANK YOU!!!!

I finally ended up getting this to work. i really appreciate you letting me tap into your extensive knowledge of audacity and the Linux system for my own benefit.(sounds bad) but i really appreciate it.

if i have any other questions, i'll be sure to go directly to you.

thanks again,

chrisjennings

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks, and you are welcome, but if you have further questions please just post them on the forum. Hopefully other people can benefit from information posted here.

KBWood

Post by KBWood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 am

I haven't heard anything in a long time about this. I was always still hoping for a windows version. Googling around, I found not much of anything. There was one called GSnap, but it's a VST. That's not advised with audacity right? That autotalent sounded like a good thing in the works. Was hoping for a windows version is all. Cheers! :)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 pm

I think that GSnap will work in Audacity 1.3.11
You will need to set Audacity preferences to rescan effects on next launch for the effect to be recognised.

olilarkin

Post by olilarkin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 am

I made a windows vst and mac vst/au version. http://www.olilarkin.co.uk

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 am

olilarkin wrote:I made a windows vst and mac vst/au version. http://www.olilarkin.co.uk
These ports seems to have been taken down. Alternative hosts:

Windows:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... ent&id=842

Mac OS X
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/Autotalent.shtml
http://www.downloadplex.com/Mac/Audio-V ... 72630.html

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Just to post that another port of Autotalent was made, this time for LV2 format and adding MIDI support and other tweaks: http://code.google.com/p/talentledhack/ .

This is only of limited current use in Audacity because Audacity doesn't support MIDI input and LV2 support is unfinished (the experimental support can be turned on by compiling Audacity on Linux or Mac).

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual