recording vinyl

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.
mamaliga
Operating System: Please select

recording vinyl

Post by mamaliga » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:28 pm

I just bought an ION iTT usb turnable and recorded a test album. My issue is that even with the click & pop and noise removal filters I still had a lot of clicks & pops. Being a novise at this, are there any good tutorials on getting the best recordings from vinyl?

Thanks!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: recording vinyl

Post by steve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 pm

You will not get rid of all the clicks pops and noise without loosing a lot of the sound quality.

Don't use the filters at aggressive levels on the whole recording - If you want to process the entire recording, use modest settings. Any parts that need cleaning up further, zoom in and select the specific part - in some cases you may need to zoom into a single click and adjust the pop filter to higher settings (then repeat for each pop).

Scratch removal is never perfect, and how good or bad it is depends on many things, including the quality of the original recording, the quality of your recording, the quality of the recording equipment, and how much time you are prepared to spend on it.

Experimentation is the best method - and the trade-off between noise and loss of fidelity is a personal choice.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

mamaliga
Operating System: Please select

Post by mamaliga » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Thank you for your input. I'll have to experiment a bit more to see what I'm most comfortable with. Gee, too bad there isn't that magic button that makes everything perfect like the one on the computer at work. :lol:

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm

The "Noise Removal" and "Click Removal" effects are fairly magical :D

It may be that you are not getting the most out of them - difficult to tell without hearing the "before" and "after".

Any chance that you could upload a couple of samples and post links, I'd be happy to have a go myself and send you the settings that I find work best.

[EDIT] You may find this post useful: http://audacityteam.org/forum/viewtopic ... =713#p2419
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)