Can't Scroll Left and right?

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.
sdschramm
Operating System: Please select

Can't Scroll Left and right?

Post by sdschramm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:06 am

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7
Audacity 1.3.8
Apple Mighty Mouse

I can scroll up and down but not left and right?
If I bring up a large web page or photo I can scroll left ad right, but not in audacity.

Please fix!

Thanks,
Scott

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Can't Scroll Left and right?

Post by kozikowski » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 am

There is a scroll bar underneath the waveforms. Also, you can view the whole show at once with Apple-F and zoom into a selection with Apple-E. Apple-3 zooms out slightly.

With those tools available, I almost never need to use the scroll bar. I had to go look to remember where it was.

You can change the size of the work window with the click-drag point on the lower right.

Koz

sdschramm

Post by sdschramm » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 pm

kozikowski wrote:There is a scroll bar underneath the waveforms. Also, you can view the whole show at once with Apple-F and zoom into a selection with Apple-E. Apple-3 zooms out slightly.

With those tools available, I almost never need to use the scroll bar. I had to go look to remember where it was.

You can change the size of the work window with the click-drag point on the lower right.

Koz
Thanks, however, thats like telling a Firefox user "no, you can't use the scroll ball, you must use the up and down arrow keys...you can only use the scroool wheel in Internet Explorer."

Ok, bad examples but you get the point. There are other ways to do it, but this is a bug and it needs fixed.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:53 pm

SHIFT + Mouse Wheel

Works on Linux and Windows - how about Macs?

There's also loads of keyboard navigation shortcuts for people without mouse wheels (see "Keyboard" section of Preferences for details).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 pm

<<<Works on Linux and Windows - how about Macs?>>>

I'll tell you when I get in the same room with one. Wednesday.

....I see what happened...

<<<Apple Mighty Mouse>>>

That wasn't a metaphorical opinion. That's a real product! I haven't used a Mac mouse in years. I use a three-button Microsoft Mouse with scroll wheel. Third one on Mac OS-X. It's my Windows heritage.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:17 am

Given a Microsoft 3000 Wireless mouse connected to a Mac Mini, OS-X 10.4.11, Audacity 1.3.7.

Scrollwheel by itself moves the timeline contents up and down.
Option(Alt) + Scrollwheel also moves the timeline contents up and down.

Shift + Scrollwheel doesn't do a thing.
Control + Scrollwheel causes the Apple Desktop and anything on it to zoom in and out.
Apple + Scrollwheel Zooms the timeline very much like Apple + 1 and Apple + 3.

Koz

Leland
Developer

Post by Leland » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:12 am

sdschramm wrote:I am running Mac OS X 10.5.7
Audacity 1.3.8
Apple Mighty Mouse

I can scroll up and down but not left and right?
If I bring up a large web page or photo I can scroll left ad right, but not in audacity.

Please fix!
if you're talking about using the ball to scroll left and right, then there's nothing we can do about it until wxWidgets starts to report horizontal scrolling via mouse wheel/ball.

If you were talking about something else, then can you describe what you are trying and I'll give it a try.

Leland

KapnKrunch99

Post by KapnKrunch99 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Any progress in getting horizontal mouse wheel scrolling going in OS X (Snow Leopard)?

Audacity 1.3.11-beta does respond to CMD-Scroll Wheel (zoom in-out), so it appears that wxWidgets is doing its thing.

rollo

Post by rollo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 am

Sorry if I'm reviving an ancient thread... just wondering if there are plans to add horizontal scrolling for those of us using Macs? I've been using Audacity on Mac OS X for about 3 years and had always assumed it would get done at some stage...

Alternatively, has anyone found a good workaround (that is, one that doesn't involve holding down shift or moving the mouse around)?

If it is indeed dependent on something else (wxWidgets), could you point me at the right forum to raise this?

Thanks!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:24 pm

rollo wrote:If it is indeed dependent on something else (wxWidgets), could you point me at the right forum to raise this?
The WxWidgets forum is here: http://wxforum.shadonet.com/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)