Unanticipated Host Error.

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
Arnak
Operating System: Please select

Unanticipated Host Error.

Post by Arnak » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi,

I am having trouble with Audacity 1.3.14 Beta .

Each time I play a sound file it causes an unanticipated host error. :o

Faulting application AUDIODG.EXE, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e02218, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0xffff0000, process id 0x6a8, application start time 0x01ccc65a7930583f.

My sound set up is this :-
Description: Speakers (3- C-Media USB Audio )
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: USBVID_0D8C&PID_0103&REV_0010&MI_00
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.6002.18005 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 4/11/2009 04:42:54, 73216 bytes

That is the most up to date driver.

In Audacity the host is windows direct sound.
Device (3- C-Media USB Audio )

Running on Windows Vista SP1

I can solve the problem by re-starting the audio service in windows but
have you any idea what could be causing the problem please?

Thanks,
Arnak

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Unanticipated Host Error.

Post by Gale Andrews » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:19 am

I moved this to the Windows 1.3.x board which is more appropriate than "General Feedback and Discussion".

Does Audacity crash, or just not play the file?

Can you give the make and model number of the USB Sound Card? And do you get this issue with the built-in sound device?

AUDIODG.EXE is a Windows system file that runs digital signal processing. It is a known memory hog which may or may not be the issue you are having. See:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 97e6377bee

Any sound device can use AUDIODG.EXE for its services so increase the load on it further.

Having the latest drivers for the USB sound card should help - IF they are made by the sound card manufacturer. USBAUDIO.sys you mention looks like a Microsoft driver to me. Go to Device Manager in the Windows Control Panel, expand "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" and right-click over the USB sound card > Properties. Click the "Driver" tab - who is the "Driver Provider"?

There are a few other things you can try
  • Go to "Sound" in the WIndows Control Panel. On both the "Playback" and "Recording" tabs, right-click over the USB card > Properties and turn off all "Environment" and "Enhancement" effects as they will only add to the load on AUDIODG.EXE.
  • While in the Properties sheet for both playback and recording, go to the "Advanced" tab and check both "Exclusive Mode" boxes. Choose a 44100 Hz option in the "Default Format" box above, then make the Audacity Project Rate bottom left of the window the same (44100 Hz). With "Windows Direct Sound" selected as Audacity host, that should stop any intermediate resampling by Windows.
  • Look in Windows Task Manager for any processes run by the USB sound device. See if you can turn those processes off without harming the sound.
If excessive memory leaks are the problem in AUDIODG.EXE, you can try this hotfix which kills audiodg when audio is not being used, so will reduce its total use of memory.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Arnak
Operating System: Please select

Post by Arnak » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice on that audiodg problem.

As far as I can find out that is the latest driver.

I have turned off all the enhancements, (which were not on), the rates were already as suggested.

The on board device is c-media and the driver is from Microsoft so no help there. ;)

The only update From Microsoft is for the performance / memory leak problem which I do not have. :D

After some more testing I have found that just opening the Audacity program kills the sound service :(

Just stopping and restarting the service brings the sound back again, so that's not too bad.

The sound setup does not offer anything except HDMI and earphones, neither of which I use.

So I expect I'll just have to go with the restarting the sound until I can find a solution.

Arnak

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:01 am

Arnak wrote:that is the latest driver.
Who is the "driver provider" of the USB sound card called "C-Media USB Audio"? What is the make and model number of the USB sound card called "C-Media USB Audio"?
Arnak wrote:The on board device is c-media and the driver is from Microsoft so no help there.
The driver should not be from Microsoft. You want the latest drivers for Vista made by the maker of the onboard sound device or the maker of the motherboard or computer. See:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Manag ... nd_Drivers
Arnak wrote: After some more testing I have found that just opening the Audacity program kills the sound service
Just stopping and restarting the service brings the sound back again, so that's not too bad.
Does the onboard device have this issue as well as the "C-Media USB Audio"?
Arnak wrote: The sound setup does not offer anything except HDMI and earphones, neither of which I use.
The sound setup of which device - C-Media onboard? This and the rest of your description suggests the sound devices are broken and lack proper drivers.

Can you click Help > Audio Device Info, right-click > Select All, then copy and paste the contents here?

Is this a branded laptop/netbook?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual