Help! All of a sudden garbled sound

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Help! All of a sudden garbled sound

Permanent link to this post Posted by gbarksdale » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:38 am

The last couple days I've had a problem recording a track while another audio track is playing in Audacity. The track I'm recording will sound garbled -- kind of like static and choppy. This will happen, say, 9 out of 10 times that I try to record with another audio trk playing or even muted. The thing is I've just completed two major song projects, each with about 10 tracks. I've had no problem til now recording a track -- even with all the tracks playing at once. I can record a track without another audio trk playing and it sounds perfect.

This happens when I'm playing my acoustic guitar through an amp using line-in. It also happens when I'm playing my keyboard using line-in. Haven't tried it on vocals. And I've tried using different chords for the line-in and for my instruments. Nothing helps.

Project rate is 44100 , 16-bit -- the same settings as my realtek speakers (for playback) and the Realtek HD Audio (for recording). Again, I've had no problems on previous major multi-track recordings, so I really don't think it's a sound card issue.

My computer is a Dell Studio XPS, Windows 7 and about three months old. Using Audacity 1.32

If it helps, here's a screen shot and an audio sample of my dilemma:
Attachments
fullscreen004.png
fullscreen004.png (89.87 KiB) Viewed 40988 times
garbled.wav
(302.04 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
gbarksdale

Operating System: Please select

Re: Help! All of a sudden garbled sound

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:06 am

I'm betting that's Windows Conferencing Echo Cancellation kicking in. You can turn that off in Windows Control Panels.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45482#p113805

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by gbarksdale » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:33 am

Koz

I think you bet right. I couldn't find the conference echo thing, but I unchecked things like allowing devices to take control and DC Offset Cancellation. Disabled all sound effects. I recorded a half dozen test tracks with another audio trk running in the background and they all sounded beautifully.

I hate Windows.

Thanks.
gbarksdale

Permanent link to this post Posted by rdenney » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm

New DELL XPS 8500 running Windows 7. Similar symptoms (garbled sound). Only happened on some tracks. This seems to have fixed:

Control panel > Hardware Sound > Sound > Playback > right click properties > Enhancements > Disable all sound effects
rdenney

Return to Windows