Sluggish overdub/unintelligible sound - Windows 7

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Sluggish overdub/unintelligible sound - Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Vincerooney » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:41 am

System:
Windows 7 x64
Pentium Quad Core 3ghz
8Gb Ram
Recording Device: Shure pg27 USB Mic
Sound Card- Previous ASUSP7P55D Motherboard Onboard Sound---> Newly Installed SIIG Soundwave 7.1 PCI

Using 1.3.11 (and also 1.3.10) and the onboard sound drivers for my ASUSP7P55D motherboard I am experiencing a situation where it is near impossible to record over another track. It acts sluggish along the lines of not having enough memory. The sound dips in and out, crackling (exclusively when overdubbing, a normal recording generally goes just fine). This is definetely not the case as I actually built this PC to have a higher quality system with more ram and cpu power for recording. I thought perhaps this was an issue with the onboard sound so I installed a SIIG SoundWave 7.1 PCI soundcard (uses C-Media Chipset). This made matters worse, as playing over a recording results in the needle moving extremely slow and making an buzzing sound during any playback (normal play and dubbing over). I've messed with all of the audio settings as best I could and have yet to come up with a solution. Deciding to poke around at a solution, I installed 1.2.6. Recording worked fine as did dubbing over the same recording, although with the latency issues I am used to with the old version .
In addition to this, could anyone suggest a good PCIx soundcard compatible with Audacity for recording and playback of guitar and vocals? I realize that the USB Mic handles the recording aspect, but I am looking for a high quality card, and with settings that will allow it to play a mono/stereo track from audacity through all speakers of a 5 speaker setup all at once.
Last edited by Vincerooney on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vincerooney

Operating System: Please select

Re: Sluggish overdub/unintelligible sound - Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:00 pm

<<<I installed a 2xx stable>>>

You can't fall apart on us like that. Exact versions numbers are good.

<<play a mono/stereo track from audacity through all speakers at once.>>>

Same thing. The number of speakers would be.....?

<<<Using 3.11 (and a previous 3.xx version I can't remember) >>>

That would be Audacity 1.3.11, not 3.11. Did you notice as you read back through your question that all the non-computer hardware information is fuzzy, missing, or wrong?

You can have both Audacity 1.2 and Audacity 1.3 on your machine as long as you only use one at a time. Audacity 1.3 Projects will not open in 1.2. You need to know that Audacity 1.2 is the only version that hides its operating preferences inside the Dreaded Windows Registry. This means if they get scrambled, it's really amusing to fix.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 pm

One more. We don't know what you are recording. USB microphone? Analog microphone with mixer? Model numbers...

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Vincerooney » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:17 pm

My apologies, wasn't paying very good attention. I've fixed the above post. Also the recording device is a ShurePG27 USB Mic
Vincerooney

Permanent link to this post Posted by Vincerooney » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 am

I figured out the problem! My Audio to Buffer latency was set to 10ms, and the pc was acting sluggish. I set it to 100 and used a click track to find correct latency correction. Works perfect! This can be found under Edit>Preferences>Recording.
Vincerooney

Permanent link to this post Posted by ridinaround » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm

I am having this problem with any recording, not just overdubbing. It just started recently, and appears from both mic to mixer to computer input and mic to mixer to computer input. Reccording through the laptop mic directly to Audacity does the same thing. Help?
ridinaround

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

ridinaround wrote:I am having this problem with any recording, not just overdubbing.

So it's not the same problem.

I've deleted your post from the Mac forum as you are using Windows. Mac and Windows have completely different sound systems so advice that is relevant to Mac OS X is unlikely to be relevant to Windows and vice versa.

See if this article helps: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ: ... hancements
If not, please start a new topic (in the Windows part of the forum) and describe the problem that you are having in as much detail as you can.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Windows