Can't detect lame_enc.dll on Windows 7

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
dalorian
Operating System: Please select

Can't detect lame_enc.dll on Windows 7

Post by dalorian » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 am

I have tried everything that I know to get the beta to work in my windows 7 machines and will not find the lame.dll at all no matter what I do where I install it or anything . I have used Audacity for years and not had a problem with this lame. dll but this one is useless. I cannot get the beta to work at all in windows 7 with the export feature to mp3 . It is only good for recording .wav only no mp3 export at all . I have tired all options to no avail . thanks

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Can't detect lame_enc.dll on Windows 7

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:02 am

dalorian wrote:I have tried everything that I know to get the beta to work in my windows 7 machines and will not find the lame.dll at all no matter what I do where I install it or anything . I have used Audacity for years and not had a problem with this lame. dll but this one is useless. I cannot get the beta to work at all in windows 7 with the export feature to mp3 . It is only good for recording .wav only no mp3 export at all . I have tired all options to no avail . thanks
I've moved this from an old topic in the 1.2 Forum. For Windows 7, please use the latest Beta:
http://audacityteam.org/download/beta_windows

Please double-check the instructions here to make sure you have no old paths to lame-enc.dll stored in the Audacity settings:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.ph ... g-Ins#lame

If the problem can't be resolved, you could try alternative versions of lame_enc.dll:

* http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/libmp3lame-win-3.98.2.zip

* As a last resort, a version of lame_enc.dll 3.97 which should work in latest 1.3.x:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=824

We do not recommend LAME 3.97 because that version produces distortions unless you use bit rates over 192 kbps.

Gale
Last edited by waxcylinder on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: remove specific reference to 1.3.11
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

cwbash

Post by cwbash » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Gale's suggestion of moving to the latest release of the Beta sounds right to me. I'm on 1.3.12, imported the LAME, went to preferences and specified it was there and it found it first try. And, yes, I'm on Windows 7

evilpasta

Post by evilpasta » Sun May 02, 2010 10:53 pm

I encountered a similar problem trying to export as MP3 in 1.3.12-beta using Windows XP Pro. When I downloaded the suggested LAME library and pointed Audacity to it, it would throw an error to the effect of "can't read LAME library."

I downloaded and tried all of the alternate libraries listed in Gale Andrews' post, and it threw the same error for three of the libraries, however it finally worked with the last library listed, "lame_3.97_fixed_crash.zip" located at http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=824

Not sure why this library worked differently. Hopefully a library can be found that works with all platforms eventually, and deviations from that plan like this one can be found a bit more easily for me. The <192kbps downfall doesn't matter to me since I always encode at 320kbps.

Glad I found this post, however it's just as relevant to WinXP as Win7.

jungzimm

Post by jungzimm » Mon May 03, 2010 1:05 am

Also on WinXP Pro SP3 like "evilpasta" above. Its running on a Dell Latitude 600 laptop stripped down to just Windows and Audacity. I've used Audacity for the past 4 years with my last upgrade on a different machine being 1.3.8. No problems with LAME on any of these. Followed all the precautions when 1.13.12 casued problems on this machine. Deleted all references to Audacity in the registry, uninstalled all previous verions and directories, including the one in application data of Documents and Settings. Installed 1.3.12 but did not start it. Tried each of the LAME's referenced in Gale's response, putting them in the Audacity program directory. Only one that worked was 3.97. I'm going to be using the laptop to run background music and sound effects at a local community theater in a month and need the features of 1.3. I may go look and see if I have the install files from an earlier 1.3... and try it on the Dell to see if its the Dell. Sound on this rig is "Sigma 3-Tel Audio".

Any other suggestions are welcome,
John

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon May 03, 2010 1:52 am

The 3.97 lame-enc.dll available at http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=824 isn't even compiled by us, but your reports confirm it's the "last resort" one that always will work. It used to crash Audacity, but once we had fixed that crash by changing the Audacity code, it does now always seem to work.

Leland used to do all the compiling of LAME encoders for Windows and Mac. He is no longer with the project and he never had time to figure what made the 3.97 one work. I've built the 3.98.3 dlls for Windows but don't understand all the nuances yet. If neither 3.98.3 dll works for you, you could download Dependency Walker, drag lame_enc.dll v3.98.3 into it, File > Save the .dwi file and e-mail it to me (click the envelope icon under my name to right of one of my posts).
jungzimm wrote:Also on WinXP Pro SP3. Its running on a Dell Latitude 600 laptop stripped down to just Windows and Audacity. I've used Audacity for the past 4 years with my last upgrade on a different machine being 1.3.8. No problems with LAME on any of these. Followed all the precautions when 1.13.12 casued problems on this machine. Deleted all references to Audacity in the registry, uninstalled all previous verions and directories, including the one in application data of Documents and Settings. Installed 1.3.12 but did not start it... I may go look and see if I have the install files from an earlier 1.3... and try it on the Dell to see if its the Dell. Sound on this rig is "Sigma 3-Tel Audio".
If you are saying 1.3.12 does not launch at all, is there an error, and what does it say? Is there an Audacity button on the taskbar? If you open Task Manager (ALT + CTRL + DEL) and look under the "Processes" tab, is Audacity already running?

If you launch 1.3.12 without HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareAudacity in the Windows Registry and with no Documents and Settings<user name>Application DataAudacityaudacity.cfg, there should be some response when you start 1.3.12.

Make sure your that Sigmatel sound device has the latest Win XP drivers specific to your particular motherboard model, as supplied by the motherboard manufacturer. For help, see:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Updat ... ce_Drivers

Is the failure to launch anything to do with a VST plug-in perhaps? If there is a plugins.cfg file in the Application DataAudacity folder, delete it, and see if you see a scanning dialogue for VST plug-ins. If the dialogue hangs, a VST plug-in (or some dll Audacity should be ignoring) is probably the problem.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

jungzimm

Post by jungzimm » Mon May 03, 2010 8:39 pm

If you are saying 1.3.12 does not launch at all, is there an error, and what does it say? Is there an Audacity button on the taskbar? If you open Task Manager (ALT + CTRL + DEL) and look under the "Processes" tab, is Audacity already running?
Sorry about the confusion in my post re 1.3.12. It installs and launches fine. It just has problems with all the LAME's but the 3.97 version.
There is another 3.98.3 dll here that is slightly different to that in the 3.98.3 exe installer

I'll try that and let you know. Thanks for the reply

(Edit Addition)
Tried the 3.98.3 above but was also rejected by 1.3.12

John

jungzimm

Post by jungzimm » Wed May 05, 2010 3:18 am

Gale, I downloaded the Dependency thing and am attaching the DWI file from dragging the 3.98.3 version of lame_enc.dll onto it. I had to zip it before I could upload it into the post. Couldn't find the "email envelope" you mentioned, otherwise would have emailed it. Regretably, compiling is a bit beyond my capabilities and understanding the info the dependency app provided is also beyond me. Hope it is somehow useful to you or others.

John
Attachments
lame_enc.dwi.zip
dwi file from running dependency on 3.9.8.3 version of lame_enc.dll
(630.07 KiB) Downloaded 609 times

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed May 05, 2010 9:05 am

jungzimm wrote:Gale, I downloaded the Dependency thing and am attaching the DWI file from dragging the 3.98.3 version of lame_enc.dll onto it. I had to zip it before I could upload it into the post.
Thanks, John. Would you be able to run the 3.97 dll that works for you through Dependency Walker too, for comparison?

The e-mail icon would be underneath my name to right of any post by me, but it seems that "standard" registered users don't get shown it (for anti-spam purposes). It's gale_at_audacityteam.org (formatted like a normal e-mail address with _at_ replaced by @).

Gale

jacob1919

Post by jacob1919 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 am

hi friends,

i have also same problem so i downloaded this lame_enc.dll file from dll-files.com but it not working plz tell what exactly i do...

thanks,
jacob