Normalization of stereo tracks

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
This forum is now closed.

For help with current Audacity, please post to the 2.x. board for your operating system.

Please post feedback about the current 2.x version on the 2.x.feedback board.
Timar
Operating System: Please select

Normalization of stereo tracks

Post by Timar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:57 pm

I just noticed that when normalizing a stereo track Audacity does seem to normalize both stereo channels independently. I'm not sure whether this a bug or a "feature"? If it is the latter I would seriously recommend to change that quirky behaviour. It's contrary to what any other standard audio editor does when normalizing a stereo track and irretrievably destroys its integrity. If I'd ever want to normalize both channels of I stereo track idependently i would split them into two mono channels beforehand.

bgravato
Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: Normalization of stereo tracks

Post by bgravato » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Some say it's a feature and that there was a reason for it to be that way, others might disagree... This has been quite discussed lately and there's a proposal to change that behaviour.

Meanwhile if you don't want to lose the stereo balance you should use the amplify effect instead. It will basically work the same way, but stereo balance is preserved.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 am

I quite agree Timar.
If you feel strongly about this you may like to offer your feedback to the Audacity team via the "feedback" e-mail address on the main Audacity website: http://audacityteam.org/contact/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Timar

Post by Timar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm

I'll do. I think it would be the best solution to include a checkbox for independent l/r normalization like Cool Edit has

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Actually, my Cool Edit has a checkbox for "Link Tracks."

Koz

Timar

Post by Timar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:56 pm

You are right, but it is checked by default.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Timar wrote:I'll do. I think it would be the best solution to include a checkbox for independent l/r normalization like Cool Edit has
Funny you should ask for that - there is a whole proposal under development in the Wiki:

See: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Proposal_Normalize
and: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk: ... _Normalize

If you read the Talk/Discussion page carefully you should see your initial posting here which I copied across to try to support the proposal. Don't hold your breath though, it's quite likely that no work on this will be attempted until after the release of 2.0 (which is a pity really IMHO).

In the meantime use the workaround that bgravato suggested - which is to use the Amplify effect instead (that's what we all do).

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Adobe Audition has link check boxes for both Normalize and Amplify.

[X] Amplify Lock L and R
[X] Normalize L/R Equally

Both default to checked. They consider, rightly in my opinion, that a simple change in volume is very different from a theatrical balance change.

Normalize is the really tiny tool with only three options and oddly, one of those is the DC Bias. Amplify is the one with the huge panel with lists of things you can do with amplification. It's metaphor is the fader system on a mixer (Fade In, Fade Out, 3dB Cut, 10dB Boost, Pan Left, etc.) It, too, has the ability to manage DC.

Koz

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 am

The latest alpha version of Audacity (1.3.14 alpha) now Normalizes stereo tracks as one track - that is, the two channels are amplified by the same amount.
There is an option (off by default) to amplify the channels independently.

Also, the "-" (minus sign) has been removed from the interface, so Normalize now follows the same convention as other Audacity effects, which is that to achieve a setting of, say, -3 dB, then the text should indicate "- 3".
normalize.png
Normalize in Audacity 1.3.14 alpha (Linux).
THIS IS NOT A MOCK-UP IT IS A SCREENSHOT!
normalize.png (18.68 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:13 am

Also, the "-" (minus sign) has been removed from the interface
That was good for a lot of furrowed brows. "Wait, how come it went the wrong way...?"

Koz