Audacity won't recognize USB microphone

This section is now closed
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.
jakenewman
Operating System: Please select

Audacity won't recognize USB microphone

Post by jakenewman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:23 am

I downloaded audacity 1.2.6a for mac. I have a USB microphone called blue icicle. When I go to the "system preferences" on the mac desktop, I can set the USB mic as the input, but when I go to "preferences" in audacity, the only inputs I can choose from are "built in mic" and "built in input." My USB mic isn't even listed, so I can't choose it. I'm not sure what the problem is because I have used the microphone in audacity for windows and it works perfectly fine in garage band. Does anyone have any advice? Is there some way to reconfigure audacity to allow the USB mic?

Thanks

kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Audacity won't recognize USB microphone

Post by kozikowski » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:40 am

<<<I downloaded audacity 1.2.6a for mac.>>>

That may be the difficult step. Which Mac and Operating System? Apple > About This Mac > Read me the Processor and Version lines.

Koz

bgravato
Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: Audacity won't recognize USB microphone

Post by bgravato » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:59 am

Try downloading audacity 1.3.12 (beta). It's the recommended version for the most recent macs.

Also you should be aware that you should connect the usb mic before opening audacity... If you connect an usb device while audacity is already running it won't be detected by audacity and it won't show up on preferences...
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).