Audacity won't work with Realtek HD Card

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
mh28450
Operating System: Please select

Re: Audacity won't work with Realtek HD Card

Post by mh28450 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 am

That's what they say on http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... fa01c35d67

1. Download the SoundMax driver from lenovo's website and extract it somewhere. Then open up ADIHDAUD.INF located in SMAXWDM folder in the driver folder.
2. Find the line HKR,AD1984Disable, OutR, 1, 01 ;; Disable Stereo Mix Capture Node
3. Change the "01" to 00 and save it
4. Run "setup" and select "uninstall" existing driver - reboot
5. Run "setup" and select "install" new driver - ignore the Windows XP auto install setting and ignore the "non certified" driver warning - reboot
6. Go to start menu > run > type: "regedit" [enter] (without quotes)
7. Click on "edit > search" and look for AD1984.
8. For each registry key/folder of AD1984, find the subfolder/key that says MicBP and OutR and change their associated binary values from 01 to 00. For some people, re-installing the driver in this fashion already produces a 00 while for others, the change must be made manually.
9. Reboot
10. Windows may give you an error that the SoundMax driver needs to be re-installed - this is NOT true. You need to only re-install the Windows XP hotfix to re-enable the universal audio architecture. This hotfix is available on the lenovo website here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... MIGR-68974

jfe

Post by jfe » Sat May 24, 2008 11:47 pm

To clarify---I am not able to see ANY dropdown source menu choices, only the greyed out field in the upper right of Audacity, where they should be. No "Mic", no nothing.

I've flipped every other combination of normal switches I can find. I have not tried to go into the coding nor my BIOS as I think that the program should probably work with a more surface intervention. Hope that helps clarify.

jfe

Post by jfe » Sat May 24, 2008 11:52 pm

waxcylinder wrote:jfe: I suspect that you are recording "stereo mix" or "what u hear" (as selected from your input selector dropdown).

When using these to record the sounds on your computer (e.g. webstreaming etc.) you should set you preferences so that software playthrough is NOT selected - go to Edit>Preferences>Audio I/O.

In 1.3 the developers have helped here by augmenting the text next to the software playthrough box to advise this - but in 1.2 you just have to know to do this.

WC
To clarify: the problem is exactly that there is NO input selector dropdown menu AT ALL. Just a greyed out field/box in the upper right. That's the problem. I think that the program should probably work without having to get to the coding/BIOS level on my end. And without installing a standalone soundcard. But I cannot find anything that works yet.

jfe

Post by jfe » Sun May 25, 2008 12:35 am

I did get it to Record What U Hear, but I still lack the actual dropdown Menu of Input Sources.

The way to get it to Record was indeed to go to Edit>I/O and uncheck the little boxes at the bottom---thanks for that direction.

Not sure what the significance is of the lack of the input menu.

waxcylinder
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by waxcylinder » Sun May 25, 2008 2:30 pm

jfe:
Normally the input selector box gets grayed out when you plug in a USB device - in which case Audacity recognizes that there is only one valid pathway - so grays out the selector box thus inhibiting any other selection. Are you sing a USB device?

Curiously this is exactly what iused to happen when I used an ION ITTUSB - but now I use an external USB soundcard (Edirol UA-1EX) the selctor box is no longer grayed out, and I cn apparently make selections - but Audacity just ignores those selctions and just uses the USB path anyway. But note that I am using Audacity 1.3.5

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

dblaine1

Post by dblaine1 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Realtek HD does work with Audacity!

Keefy , et al -- I run a new Dell machine with XP professional and the Realtek HD sound. For a long time I could not get Audacity to record. But I found the "magic button" using the tip provided by stevethefiddle -- thank you!

My solution was found this way:

1-double click on the volume control speaker icon in the appliaction tray - this brings up a master volume window
2- Now is the tricky part follow closely, ... in the master volume window click on options --> properties
3 - in the properties box, select the mixer device "Realtek HD Audio Input", this enables the "recording" radio button.
4- in the properties box also make sure all the boxes are checked for the volume controls - for example recording control, line volume, front mic, mic volume , and STEREO MIX
5- now select the OK button
6 - if done correctly you should now be looking at the Recording Control box with slider controls for all the items you checked in step 4.
7- now here is what made Audacity work for me - BE SURE TO UN_CHECK THE MUTE FOR the "STEREO MIX" device - you should now be able to record anything your compter plays using audacity.

Thanks again to stevethefiddle for help solving my problem!

gemalem

Post by gemalem » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:58 pm

I'm having the exact same problem.

I've tried everything to get it working and its having none of it...!

When i double-click the Volume control on the bottom right of the screen, i go to properties, and under 'Mixer device' it says 'Realtek HD Audio Input'

where it says 'Show the following volume controls' it has

[x] CD Volume
[x] Mic Volume

nothing else :/

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:10 pm

@ gemalem
If you use Vista, Google for "Audacity Vista".
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

arobinson.neal

Post by arobinson.neal » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Been loving Audacity for a few years now and just downloaded it on my new netbook--it's running Windows 7, and I'm having trouble with the record options. I have a gray dropdown (can't select any recording choices) and when I try to go into the computer's sound options my choices are limited. I CAN record, but it's very low. Any suggestions?
Seek peace, and pursue it-Psalms 34:14b

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:31 am

arobinson.neal wrote:I CAN record, but it's very low.
If you are recording from a microphone plugged into your sound card (little round jack plug), go back to your computer's sound options and look for a setting to "boost" (may be labeled "+20dB" ) the microphone input. If you are recording in some other way, please describe.
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com