recording music that is in a music composition program

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
cbhillman1
Operating System: Please select

recording music that is in a music composition program

Post by cbhillman1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm

I have some music I wrote in an old (and no longer made) software program called ConcertWare. I would like to record this music onto a CD. Now, of course, I could just get a CD player that records as well and play the music in the program and record it that way. However, I was hoping there might be some way to "burn" the music onto a CD - that is record it onto a CD inserted in my laptop (Sony VAIO using Windows XP). Is there any way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know if this is the correct place for this particular question but I am new to Audacity.)

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: recording music that is in a music composition program

Post by steve » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

What format is your music currently in?
Do you have a program that will play the music?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

cbhillman1

Post by cbhillman1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:33 am

Dear "Steve the fiddle"

The music is written but I can play it in the software program; it's an old music composition program called ConcertWare and is no longer even made. (I tried something more current - Cubasis - but couldn't get the hang of it!)

Now, I have never burned music from the internet onto a CD but I would imagine that if I played something online and "burned" it onto a CD, I could do something similar with this music regardless of the program used to play the music. However, if I cannot, I can always just play the music with a mini cassette recorder going. It might not be as good a recording but it would work. (I need to record this music because - at a relatively advanced age, not that it matters - I have returned to school and am in an interesting program that allows me to submit independent projects for credit and I hope to submit the piece I wrote.)

If anyone else has any ideas. . . Thanks Steve and keep on fiddlin'!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 am

I'm not familiar with ConcertWare, but I think it may have been a MIDI program. If you can play the songs in ConvertWare or another program, then you will probably be able to record the music in a similar manner to what is described here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recor ... e_computer

When you have recorded it into Audacity you will need to Export the recording as a WAV file.

You will then be able to make an audio CD from the WAV files using a CD burning program such as the free program "CDBurnerXP" which is available from here: http://cdburnerxp.se/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

cbhillman1

Post by cbhillman1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 am

Thank you so much. I skimmed the link and will read it more carefully later and see if I can figure out what to do! Really - thanks!

Fabi

Post by Fabi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi cbhillman,
I have an old music sheet note that my father made with concertware, but I don't have this software anymore, and it's impossible to find it now.
Could you please help me to export it in a readable format ?
Thanks in advance,
Fabien

cbhillman1

Post by cbhillman1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Unfortunately, I never figured out how to do that! I needed to submit a music composition as an independent project for school. Since I never was able to convert the music to another format, I ended up submitting the music along with the entire ConcertWare program. It was a very old program - from the early-to-mid 1990's probably - and so I was able to copy the entire program onto another CD, which also contained my composition.

Sorry I cannot be of more help!

Fabi

Post by Fabi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for the answer ! Do you still have this program ?
My email :
t00001
AT
ignore this
fabisoft
and this
DOT com

Moderator note: further obscured e-mail address

cbhillman1

Post by cbhillman1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:27 am

I do but I could not see your complete email address and while I can copy the program to a CD-RW, I am pretty sure I would be unable to email it as an attachment in any case. . .

There are newer and better music composition programs but I'm just not sophisticated enough to master any of them.

Fabi

Post by Fabi » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:15 am

Well, seems I got troubles with the forum antispam ! :?
So here's my email :

If you zip the program, it should be small enough to fit as email attachment, I could help you step by step if you wish. (Maybe we could continue this discussion thru email, since it has no relation with audacity.)
Otherwise, there are some services like http://dl.free.fr which allow to share files. Just click on browse to select your zip file, and click on "envoyer", after uploading, it will process file during a few minutes, then it will provide you a link to download the shared files.
https://www.yousendit.com/ can also do it, but will require registration.

Thanks in advance, ;)
Fabien