Help with Recovery

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
waxil
Operating System: Please select

Help with Recovery

Post by waxil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi there, I really hope you can help...

I recorded 3 hours of an event on friday night using Audacity, but the power was pulled from the machine before it was saved.
I chose not to delete the temporary files and have copied those off to a safe place.
There is 4000 of them!

It's a stereo track, so I tried doing an import audio on the 1st two, and they play perfectly, albeit for 10 seconds.
Happy Days I thought, so I downloaded the Automatic recovery tool.
This said that there is a 2gb restriction on file sizes, so I split the files up into 1000 in each folder.
Ran the recovery tool against the 1st one, which created 2 wav files.
Then I imported these into Audacity as raw data.. But, there is a very loud white noise over the top of the actual audio.
I've also tried this using the command line tool, but get the same results.

Can anyone help? is there another way to import the audio, or join these file prior to the import without having to go through the copy & pasting of 4000 files!! ???

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)
Chris.

kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Help with Recovery

Post by kozikowski » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Crash Recovery
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... shRecovery

<<<I chose not to delete the temporary files and have copied those off to a safe place.>>>

Audacity is extraordinarily sensitive to configuration. You may need to put all those files back where they were for Crash Recovery to work. As long as they're copies and the originals are still there...

Koz

waxil

Post by waxil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:35 am

kozikowski wrote:Crash Recovery
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... shRecovery

<<<I chose not to delete the temporary files and have copied those off to a safe place.>>>

Audacity is extraordinarily sensitive to configuration. You may need to put all those files back where they were for Crash Recovery to work. As long as they're copies and the originals are still there...

Koz
Hi, I've read the wiki and the files are in the original location (I just meant that I also backed them up) and if I import them as audio, they play fine, but only in 10 second blocks, and the recommended method to put them back together is to cut and paste onto the end, which is really dodgy as with the stereo track you have to make sure you paste them into the exact millisecond of the top track (plus this would mean pasting in 4000 files).
As I said, when I've used that manual method, the audio is perfect.
So, to avoid the paste of 4000 files, I attempt to use either of the automatic methods, but which produce a really loud white noise over the top.. I'm sure I had it set to stereo at 44100 and that's the config I try to use when the importing the raw data, but for some reason I am getting all this white noise over the top. Surely I must just be doing something wrong when using the auto recovery? Like I said, I have had to split them up into 1000 files in each folder in order to get around the 2GB file limit on the recovery tool, but do still have all the originals in their original location.

Please help, this event is extremely important to my family as it contains a relative who may not be with us for much longer and was set to be a momento which we all could have kept, especially for his wife.

If there was a way to join the au files and then use the manual import? Would that work?

Thanks again in advance.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 am

waxil wrote:I'm sure I had it set to stereo at 44100 and that's the config I try to use when the importing the raw data,
Just in case, try (with a smaller bunch of data files) at different format settings - do these recovery tools also need to know the bit depth?
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

waxil

Post by waxil » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Ok i have managed to get this to work.

It looks like there is an error in the crash recovery section of the wiki (http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php? ... shRecovery)

In there, it says "aud_recover will generate one or more files (depending on how many channels of audio you recorded, usually one or two for mono and stereo). You need to import these into Audacity using the Import Raw Data option."

This does not work and creates a noise filled mess.
But if you use the import audio option, it works.

All the best.
Chris. - A Happy Audacity user!! ;)

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by Gale Andrews » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:12 am

waxil wrote:Ok i have managed to get this to work.

It looks like there is an error in the crash recovery section of the wiki (http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php? ... shRecovery)

In there, it says "aud_recover will generate one or more files (depending on how many channels of audio you recorded, usually one or two for mono and stereo). You need to import these into Audacity using the Import Raw Data option."

This does not work and creates a noise filled mess.
Thanks. I've e-mailed the author of the program. I have never got this program to work at all for whatever reason - just churns out errors. Does the file produced by the utility have a WAV extension or AU extension?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by Gale Andrews » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:21 am

Gale Andrews wrote:
waxil wrote:Ok i have managed to get this to work.

In there, it says "aud_recover will generate one or more files (depending on how many channels of audio you recorded, usually one or two for mono and stereo). You need to import these into Audacity using the Import Raw Data option." This does not work and creates a noise filled mess.
Thanks. I've e-mailed the author of the program. I have never got this program to work at all for whatever reason - just churns out errors. Does the file produced by the utility have a WAV extension or AU extension?

Gale
I've got the program going (I was leaving the preceding "b" of the file name in by mistake).

Import Raw is the correct way to import the aud_recover output. It is headerless, so I'm not sure how you managed to import it with Import Audio. But if you use the included auinfo.exe to check the sample format and endianness (this needs the full file name, so for example type "auinfo b00001.a" without quotes) that will let you import the file properly with Import Raw Data.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual