guitar and amp issues?

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.
smiles1969
Operating System: Please select

guitar and amp issues?

Post by smiles1969 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 am

i have a marshall jcm900 amplifier with recording compensation on the back and direct line out, when i play my guitar with usb direct to audacity its fine and a clear recording, but when i run it through my jcm stack i get a high pitched scream whilst recording ,you can still hear the guitar , , iv twiddled with everything trying to stop it but no joy,my other problem is the delay that comes with playing and recording? is there anyway to remove the delay? thanx any helps appreciated :?

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: guitar and amp issues?

Post by kozikowski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:49 am

when i play my guitar with usb direct to audacity its fine and a clear recording,
When you plug your USB guitar into what? Exactly what? Model numbers.
is there anyway to remove the delay?
Audacity 1.3 has the ability to neutralize some of the delays. Exactly which ones are you referring to?

Audacity 1.2 is no longer supported, updated or patched, in addition to being missing some of the tools you need. You should upgrade to 1.3.12.

http://audacityteam.org/download/

Koz

smiles1969

Post by smiles1969 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 am

my computer is windows 2000 xp pro
i plug my guitar into a marshal jcm900 100 wat head, with a 300 wat quad speaker box, on the back of the marshal amp i run a line out with usb conection at one end this i plug into my computer at the front where i usualy put a game joy stick or external hard drive, iv also updated drivers to take the guitar usb, (asio usb) it works on the 1.2 version but not on the beta. when i use the guitar to usb lead from my guitar strait into my computer and record it works but there is a delay echo sound , iv tried different effects in audacity to stop the echo and delay , also this area is all in light grey but still works ..im trying to put lead guitar to music tracks from my band so we can organise lyric format over that, if i run my guitar threw my marshal amp and use the direct line out from the amp to my usb input on computer i get a high pitch screem playing it and recording it, my guitar is an ibanez custom , hope that helps koz !! and thanx for your reply man

iv tried the latest version beta, and couldnt get it to work at all?

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Laptop?

I need to read that thru a couple of times.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

i run my guitar threw my marshal amp and use the direct line out from the amp to my usb input on computer
That's where it gets messy. You should be able to take the Direct Out of the Marshall amplifier (two RCA plugs -- may be a larger 1/4" plug) and plug it into the 1/8" stereo connection for the Line-In (usually blue) of your large deskside computer sound card.

No USB needed if you do it that way.

Universal Serial Bus is a digital connection and yes, it probably would sound like screaming if you plugged it in the wrong place. The Marshall is a Tube/Valve type legacy amplifier and the Direct Out is likely to be straight analog "HiFi" or Line Level. No digital at all.

All this also works with a Mac, but usually not with a Windows Laptop.

Koz

smiles1969

Post by smiles1969 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Laptop?

I need to read that thru a couple of times.

Koz
nope shes a desktop computer 8-) il try the plug input at the back of computer and see if i can get it any better , thanx for your help koz much appreciated