Renaming a clip does not work

How do I rename a clip in version 3.2.1?

The same way as in version 3.2.0:

1. Double click on the clip name
  2. Type the new name
  3. “Enter”

The same way as in version 3.2.0:

1. Double click on the clip name
  2. Type the new name
  3. “Enter”

That’s what I usually do (or use Ctrl+F2). But in version 3.2.1 renaming does not work.

Works for me on W10 with 3.2.1

Peter

Works for me on W10 with 3.2.1

Peter

It also works for me in new projects, but when I open an old project (created in version 3.1.3), it does not work.
But!
If I move any clip to another track in the old project, then renaming works again. I don’t understand why. Maybe some settings got lost.

Thanks!

I’m on Linux rather than Windows, but I can’t reproduce this, even with projects created in 3.1.3.

One thing that you could try is saving the project with a new name from Audacity 3.2.1, then quit Audacity.
Then re-launch Audacity 3.2.1 and open the newly saved project.
Are you then able to rename clips?

I’m on Linux rather than Windows, but I can’t reproduce this, even with projects created in 3.1.3.

One thing that you could try is saving the project with a new name from Audacity 3.2.1, then quit Audacity.
Then re-launch Audacity 3.2.1 and open the newly saved project.
Are you then able to rename clips?

Also does not rename.

In 3.2.1, when I open a project created in 3.1.3, I have no difficulty with renaming a clip.

I’m glad you found a work-around.

@jademan - like you I have never experiencd a problem with clip renaming/

However, Rulslan has sent me a link to his project and oddly I can rename clips in the first half of his project but not in the second half.

I added a post to a pre-existing bug-thread posted a fortnight ago relating to this:
Can’t rename clips #3704

Peter

Yes. :smiley:

So I admit that my test was just a simple a quick and dirty test with a single 1-minute track. :neutral_face:

I am glad you were able to provide repeatable documentation to developers so they can address this issue. :smiley:

No-one from Muse has asked for a copy of the project yet …

Peter.

Hello – I also had this problem but “fixed” it while writing this reply.

• New project created today in Audacity 3.2.1
  • Option to rename wasn’t greyed out – I could see it in Edit menu and when right clicking a clip – but did nothing when selected. Ctrl + f2 also did nothing
  • When I opened an old project (created in May 2022), I could rename the clips
  • Copy/pasted a clip from old project into new project
  • Found I could still rename the old clip in the new project
  • Found I could now rename all clips in the new project

[/list]

So… no idea what happened there. But if anyone comes upon this thread, try copy/pasting a clip from an old project into your new project. [shrug]