Windows 11. Why will by record bar not respond to turning up and down? Record volume is maxed out with the adjustment set at just 22% and won't respond to changes

Windows 11 recording issue. Recording is clipping like crazy and won’t respond to meter adjustment.

What are you recording from?

If you’re recording from a USB device, usually you can’t adjust the recording volume with software.

It’s the analog-to-digital converter built-into the USB device that clips so you have to reduce the analog or acoustic volume before it’s digitized.

USB microphones without recording level controls are usually calibrated for low-gain so they don’t overload with normal sounds. Better USB “podcast mics” usually have a recording level control.

Good audio interfaces have recording level knobs (example)

I’m recording from a AT Turntable (no pre amp) into a Fosi pre amp using the lowest setting of 39db into Digitallife USB audio capture into a Dell with a USB plugin 2.0. This issue didn’t start up until 2 days ago. Never had a issue of being able to control the recording level before with the Audacity slider. Also, I’ve never been able to get anything recorded in STEREO? I’ve checked all the settings I can think of and have been set to 2 channel stereo. Right now the recording is clipping so bad there is no way it could be used.

A couple of things to check-

Make sure Microphone Boost for the USB device is turned all the way down… you see that option… Windows might think it’s a USB mic.

Windows “enhancements” can also mess-up recording in lots of ways so they should be turned OFF.

Both Audacity and Windows need to be set to stereo. More information here.

Is that an older turntable? I don’t think Audio Technica currently makes any turntables without preamps, although most (all?) have a switch to bypass it. …Double amplification would clip badly and the double RIAA EQ would over-boost the bass and kill the highs.

Still the same result. No control over the recording input volume with tons of clipping. It’s a At-LP120-USB with the pre amp removed. The cartridge is a Ortofon Red. It’s pretty high output. Still, that should not effect the no control with the record slide level.

Interesting… I just switched turntables and I can now make the volume adjustment. The current table I’m using is a Technics sl-23 with a AT95 cartridge that has a lower output. I tried the Ortofon Red with this same turntable and it gave me the same result as with the AT turntable. Uncontrollable!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.