windows 10

I’ve been using audacity 2.2.2 for several months with windows 10 just fine. But today all of a sudden I get an error message - “Error opening sound device; try changing the audio host, re4cording device & the project sample rate”. I did all that - and all setting are correct. When I finally found the “troubleshoot” screen - I clicked it and learned that my audacity all of a sudden is compatable only wit windows 8 - not 10 - how did that happen, I tried to reinstall audacity 2.2.2 and it would not allow me to install it.
HELP!

Might you be a victim of the Great Win10 Security Update?

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/microphone-problems-after-the-windows-10-april-2018-update/49265/1

Koz

If you are recording from a microphone you may need to change the permissions to prevent windows restricting access, which is probably what the post referred to above explains. If you are recording via an ASIO device please come back with the details as there are some potential issues with the updated default drivers which windows update may have installed.

so how do I fix it?

That forum link has the instructions.

Koz

If you are recording via an ASIO device please come back with the details as there are some potential issues with the updated default drivers which windows update may have installed.

Audacity doesn’t directly support ASIO. Having your ASIO fail is not a problem.

Koz

HOW DO I DO THAT !

Have a look at the following pages:
Windows 10 camera, microphone, and privacy
Mic not working after Win 10 update

Its under settings - privacy - microphone