windows 10/external source

I have a windows 10 envy notebook. Trying to transfer music from cassette to pc using external 1 jack(in and out) but does not recognize the cassette player. After trying to record playback is the sounds from the room not music from external jack. the jack works because it does work with earphones but won’t input. What am I doing wrong?

If you have one single socket on the side of the computer, then you can use one mono computer microphone and one set of stereo headphones usually configured as a headset.
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 21.52.21.png
You can’t connect a stereo tape machine for transfers.

I use a Behringer UCA-202 USB Stereo adapter to connect stereo equipment such as stereo mixers or tape machines. That’s my stereo mixer on the right.

Koz

1 jack(in and out) but does not recognize the cassette player. After trying to record playback is the sounds from the room not music from external jack. the jack works because it does work with earphones but won’t input.

Regular headphones (with a 3-conductor TRS plug) will work with the combo jack but you need a special [u]4-conductor TRRS plug[/u] for the microphone connection.

But, there’s another issue - The mic input will “work” but it’s wrong for a line-level or headphone-level signal and it’s mono. For the best quality you need an external USB audio interface with line-inputs. (The [u]Behringer UCA202[/u] is popular and affordable. You’d need RCA plugs for the Behringer.)

As you have been told, that combo input is probably not the correct input to use. It’s going to be mono or almost so, and may distort.

If you want to try it, after getting the TRRS connector Doug mentioned, restart Audacity and choose the external microphone as Recording Device in Audacity’s Device Toolbar.

If you don’t see the external microphone in the list of Recording Devices, you must go to Windows Sound (Recording Devices tab), show disabled devices, show disconnected devices, then enable the external mic. For good measure, make the external mic default device. This link tells you how to do all that: Windows Sound.

Gale