White Noise (static detecton)

That YouTube is just a poor tutorial about how to use Audacity’s noise reduction feature.

As we’ve mentioned for passive* microphones, their sensitivity determines the signal-to-noise ratio. The noise (floor) level is created by the active electronics, (see here), and will be constant for a given set-up. The output of the microphones for a given constant test noise is the only variable, i.e. the microphone sensitivity. Passive microphones do not generate “static” noise.

A quick science project using Audacity and stereo-microphones : measure the speed of sound in air … Using audacity to measure the speed of sound - #11 by Trebor [ the speed varies with temperature ].

[* cf. “active” types which contain powered electronics ]

In the beginning where he shows you the blue waves for static? That’s not static. That’s the rumble and clicking from him handling the microphone. Normal microphone hiss and static doesn’t appear on the blue waves. Good try, though.

Given as far ahead as you are, I would fake it. Do a Hollywood Test. Get a small desk fan and have it blow gently on the microphone. You will get fake blue waves which you can record as the “Noise Signature.” Then change the microphone (or just leave the original one in place) and move the fan so the noise is different. Record that and write your report proving through weeks of work and exhaustive analysis how this microphone has much less noise than that one.

I never saw you before.

Koz