where to set WAV file output specs?

Hello,

In the old version of Audacity, you can set the rate and bit-depth of the default WAV file export. But I don’t see it in the new version. Was that taken out for some reason, or am I just not seeing it?

Thanks
Bob
Audacity 2.1.2
OS X El Capitan

The sample rate is set by the “Project rate” (bottom left corner of the main Audacity window) as it’s always been.

To set the bit-depth, 16-bit and 32-bit float WAV are listed separately in the format selector. For other bit-depths, use “other uncompressed files”. For more details, see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/file_export_dialog.html

Well yes, I know about those project settings, but the old version I have has a Preference setting to set the uncompressed export format. I have a big library of sounds that are for a game with not much memory, so they are all mono 8-bit WAV files. I have to open each one, amplify it, and save it back out. But the current version of Audacity only seems to be able to export WAV files at 16 bit.

The old version is working just fine and has saved my ass this morning, I was just wondering if this feature was still in there, because it is handy.

Bob

OK oops sorry I see what you mean about other uncompressed files, that is what I need, thanks!
Bob

For 8-bit WAV export, select “other uncompressed files”. For more details, see: Export Audio - Audacity Manual

Crossed posts :wink:

With the new version, it appends ‘.aiff’ instead of ‘.wav’ to these exports. Is there a way to make it use ‘.wav’ automatically or do I have to correct that typing manually each time?

Unfortunately that’s a bug that crept into this version. To work around it, you can either type “.wav” in when you enter the file name, or rename the file after exporting.