What was the last Audacity version where selection still worked?

Hello.
I have used Audacity over 10 years. The selection and playback used to work separately. I could select any point on the audio track and set it to either selection starting or end point. Without the selection automatically starting to play. Once I had a selection highlighted I could still select another point for the playback without messing up the selection. I could also drag and adjust the selection points without messing with the playback point.
I installed version 2.4.2 but it already has all the selection messed up badly. What version am I looking for? Can anyone help? Thanks.

In Audacity, you can make a selection by clicking and dragging on the waveform (the blue wiggly line). This has always been the case in Audacity.

Click and drag in the ruler above the tracks is for playing a section without altering the actual “selection”. This was a new feature about 5 years ago, though it has become somewhat crippled over the last 2 years.

5 Years? What version are we talking about then? Thanks.

It’s longer ago than I thought. “Timeline Quick Play” was in Audacity 2.1.2, back in 2016. Timeline - Audacity Manual

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.