What does this mean?

I asked someone how did he creat this real studio sound and he told me he always low cut the eq on vocals, compression, reverb, and DeEsser … with some pitch correction if he needed to.

So, what are all these?

(I know sth about reverb, I try to make my vocals sound studio, but I don’t really get that sound, I don’t know the entries/values to put there so as to make it sound real studio ?)

You need to be careful not to start asking us for the “Professional Audio Filter.”

I agree with everything he said except he left a few bits out. You would do that if you started out life with a completely soundproofed, quiet studio and a $2000 microphone. You get a particular sound with those and you need to tailor the sound to match what the client is expecting or the music. Sometimes you need to pull the voices down a little so they doesn’t reach out of the performance and smack you.

Microphones like that demand the price for their ability to make passionate love to your voice. They’re not necessarily technically perfect, but they sound terrific. A favorite band played packed clubs in Los Angeles and decided to cut a CD. They did and it was almost terrible. Technically perfect as they could make it, but I would have killed for a bad camcorder recording of their overflow show at Madam Wu’s.

You can go a very long way with a home system by finding a nice quiet room to record in. If your recordings sound a little like a hard-walled room or a bathroom, that’s the end of the story. You can’t remove echoes in post production. I record on my bed, literally on top of the feather duvet. No or almost no echoes. Just my voice, about which the least said the better.

Other posters will have further opinions. About recording, I mean.

Koz

And another part of the picture: You also need a good studio performer.
Good studio equipment and technique can make a bad voice sound better, but there’s an old saying that you can’t make a silk purse from a pigs ear. One of the measures of a really good performer is how little you need to do to make the recording sound great.

You can get a free de-esser called “Spitfish” here, (also a free compressor called “blockfish”).

BTW use the lastest version of Audacity 1.3.11 as these filters may not work properly on the older versions.

There info on how to use GVerb (and reverb in general) here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/GVerb

– Bill

low cut removes room “rumble” and other background noise at low freqs, maybe also floor vibration leakign into the mike

pitch correction fixes singers who are flat
(and i guess sharp too)
lots of pro cds use it cause the performers are awful when live
and they use autotune to make them sound good
could also work if a tape machine were a tad slow/fast to tweak the entire track, or if an electric recorder’s clock were fast/slow

compression can make the singer (etc) sound louder
add a touch of reverb and they sound bigger too

de-esser removes the excess sibbalent(sp?) sounds from some letters
which sound like a snake hissing on letter s
maybe also f and other similar ones

dont forget to use a pop filter
to protect against the plosives p b etc
that sound like their name and the filter name

dont forget to use a pop filter

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/wynonna2.jpg

Koz