WASAPI

Hello,
I have been using Audacity for about 4 years, but on Windows XP. I just bought a Windows 7 64 bit computer and am wondering about WASAPI and how to select it as an audio host in Audacity. I see only two options “MME” and “Windows Directsound”. Is this a plugin that I have to install? Is it already installed on my computer somewhere? If so where do I find it an enable it, to show up in Audacity.
Any other audio settings suggestions for my new situation are appreciated.

Thanks much

Please read the Windows 7 page on the Wiki for information about audio on Windows 7.

Current Audacity releases do not directly support WASAPI - MME and Windows Direct Sound are emulated on top of WASAPi (this makes Windows Direct Sound have more latency than it did under XP).

At your own risk, you can try the latest Audacity “Nightly” development build which supports WASAPI. Choose the latest build from the top of this list . Quit Audacity, extract the downloaded zip file to any location on your computer then run “audacity.exe” from the folder you extracted to. Select the “Windows WASAPI” host in the first box of Device Toolbar .

WASAPI potentially offers lower latencies, and also adds a “loopback” feature to record audio playing through the sound device (even if your device lacks its own “stereo mix” input). To record computer playback, choose the “(loopback)” input in the third box of Device Toolbar.

This is experimental, so you may get “Error Opening Sound Device” at times, and you may find latency is low at first but then becomes higher, but feedback is welcomed.

Gale

I know it’s almost a year later, but did you figure out how to record? I am having the same problem.

Use Audacity 2.0.5: http://audacityteam.org/download/windows . It has WASAPI loopback recording now (it only works for Windows Vista and later).

Please read here for full details on how to record computer playback:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html .

If you have more questions, please start a new topic and tell us what version of Windows you have.

Gale