Hello everyone, I’ve been using Audacity for quite some time now (actually only since 2.0.2 as far as I’m concerned) and I’ve been having trouble with the WahWah effect. When I try to do it, no matter what I do, which track I use it on and how much of the song I choose to WahWah, Audacity crashes. It just crashes. I’ve searched everywhere for the WahWah crash, asked a lot of people who have Audacity… Just no. I don’t get any errors in the program except for WahWah. Nothing else. By the way, I’ve updated to 2.0.5 today, and hasn’t changed. I’m using Windows 7 Home Premium, and I have a 6GB RAM, so little likely to crash because of RAM. Also, it doesn’t crash on preview mode, but it crashes even if I select a second of the song.


Is it a stereo track or mono? Is the track separated into clips by black vertical lines or white space?

What is the project rate bottom left of Audacity?

What are the exact values of each parameter in Wahwah?

If you right-click over the audacity.exe you launch Audacity with, choose Properties then the “Compatibility” tab, what do you have compatibility set to? Does changing compatibility make any difference?



I’m trying this on stereo tracks.

I’ve tried both 44 and 48KHz.

The values don’t matter, it crashes each time.

I’m not trying it on compatibility mod. I haven’t tried changing it, but I don’t think it’d make a difference.

There is nothing we can do given Wahwah does not crash for us, unless there is something specific in your tracks that it causing it. In that case we would need you to upload one of the tracks somewhere.

I suggest quitting Audacity and following the steps here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#reset to reinstall Audacity with the “Reset Preferences” box checked (ticked). When launching Audacity after re-installation, be sure to say “Yes” when Audacity asks you to confirm resetting preferences.

If that does not help, please try changing compatibility mode.


I’m using Windows 7 (español) and Audacity ver.2.0.6
I’ve experienced this issue whenever I use the wah wah effect Audacity crashes consistently (closes everything without saving the effect).

Similar issues were posted by users native Spanish speakers with over 500 views and 0 replies.
Posted by gaba
Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Forum: Español
Topic: Problema al aplicar el wah wah
Replies: 0
Views: 787

Posted by BeN21
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Forum: Español
Replies: 0
Views: 979

Posted by JohhnyM
Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Forum: Español
Topic: No puedo aplicar el efecto WahWah
Replies: 0
Views: 597

My O.S is also in Spanish, so I tried to change the Audacity language preference to English and then Portuguese (other language than the system default) and it solved this issue

Select INTERFACE and changed → Language:English

Is it possible to solve this bug or error, in order not make this changes of preference and apply the wahwah effect directly using the language-system (in this case is Spanish)?
Cheers, Martin.

Thanks very much for the report. We didn’t know about this - none of the Forum regulars read Spanish so we don’t tend to look there.

I added a bug report here: http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=861. It doesn’t “appear” to be a simple translation problem.


Yes, I believe the OS is crashing Audacity but for a reason which beyond my scope of knowledge.

Whenever this occurs the following message is displayed in a pop-up window:

“Audacity®, the Free, Cross Platform Sound Editor stop working
The program stop functioning properly due to a problem. Windows will end the program and will notify if there is a solution”

I hope that the crew will manage to solve this bug.
Thanks in advance!


I don’t think so - the same happens with Windows in English and Audacity changed to Spanish.


I can’t test because I’m not on Windows, but I notice that in the Spanish translation there is:

# #: src/effects/Wahwah.cpp:62
#, c-format
msgid ""
"Applied effect: %s frequency = %.1f Hz, start phase = %.0f deg, depth = %.0f"
"%%, resonance = %.1f, frequency offset = %.0f%%"
msgstr ""
"Efecto aplicado: frecuencia %s = %.1f Hz, fase inicial = %.0f grad, "
"profundidad= %.0f% %, resonancia = %.1f, desplazamiento de frecuencia= %.0f%%"

In the second line of the translation:

profundidad= %.0f% %,

should be:

profundidad= %.0f%%,

That was the problem, thanks for spotting it. I should have looked in a monospace font. :wink:

That change has been committed so the crash should be fixed in the next 2.1.0 release.


Great! :stuck_out_tongue:
Hope to get this release soon.
Thanks Gale for your time and attention.

Cheers, Martin.

Audacity 2.1 is due for release within the next couple of weeks.

(Warning: Intense necro.)

Hey people :stuck_out_tongue:

As you can see, I’ve been “slightly” busy in real life, and I completely forgot that this had existed.

I re-remembered it now, and turns out, I indirectly caused a massive problem (that was caused by one space xD) to get solved.

Absolutely flattered, thank you all so much. ^w^