Voxengo plug-in installation problem

Hi -

It’s been awhile since I was using Audacity much, but - I am finding that this error is NOT always spurious.

I am trying to load Voxengo VST plugins. I get the same message that you are interpreting as erroneous…

The Voxengo plugins - none of them, and I have tried several now - are NOT appearing in effects.

I feel that this is perhaps more serious than just a bogus error message. It certainly is in my case.

Win10. Audacity 2.2.2 - and nothing custom at all. Used the .zip, and ran each of the Voxengo “installers” … then enabled Elephant, MarvelEQ, PrimeEQ, Sonniformer…
All fail to register… and they definitely do not appear in effects.

This has been a long day already… If I can help testing or writing this up (it’s very straightforward - Voxengo… same error as others get for .VST, only — not of the plugins ever becomes enabled…

To be honest - I am dubious that this registration failure is ever spurious. What if the reason the other VSTs are accessible is because they were used previously, or prior to an upgrade to 2.2.2… But - I’m just throwing stuff out there - it seems odd that an API would return a failure - but then again, I don’t know what Audacity means by “register” … is it a LoadLibrary() or LoadLibraryEx()… something internal to Audacity for sure — the thing is, failure to load a .dll that we know is right there in the plug-ins directory is pretty unlikely… and clearly, for the “spurious” instances, the library is in fact LOADED for sure - begging the question “why the ‘failed to register’ error?” …

Anyway - for sure I can’t get any of the Voxengo VST’s to work right now on 2.2.2.

This would seem to be a Voxengo installation problem.

I tried installing Elephant from the Voxengo site, downloading the 32-bit version of Elephant only (remember that currently Audacity is a 32-bit app) - and like you I couldn’t see it in the “new” list in the Audacity Plug-in Manager.

So then I looked more carefully at the Voxengo installation dialogs and realized that it was (by default) wrongly placing the 32-bit Elephant plug-in in the Steinberg folder in my Program Files directory (which is for 64-bit stuff).

When I moved the Elephant plug-into the Steinberg folder in my Program Files(x86) (the 32-bit stuff location) and then ran Audacity 2.2.2 in the Plug-in Manager I could see and enable the Elephant plug-in and it runs OK.

WC

Thanks for looking at this.

So - I went and double checked and initially (before I posted anything here) I also noticed that the default location was bogus, i.e. C:\Program Files.…

So I too changed this, and pointed it at my Audacity install (it’s actually E:\Apps\Audacity for me)…
and Voxengo created the E:\Apps\Audacity\Plug-Ins\Voxengo directory and put the .dlls there.

I apologize if I miscommunicated - I can (and could before) see them with the plugin-manager (Add/Remove) and I AM ABLE to change their “status” from NEW to ENABLED. (Interestingly, they seem to want to put things in C:\Users\foo\AppData\Roaming\Audacity\Plug-Ins\Voxengo also… I guess this is an alternate location for any plugins , etc… and where the .cfg files are kept).

When I click OK on the plugin-manager, the failures to load happen for the Voxengo plugins with my current setup. I installed a few other VSTs this time, and I did get the “spurious” error on those, but as you guys already discovered, those other VSTs seem to have installed fine (ColourEQ, N6EQ).

I just have to figure out why Voxengo do not seem to work for me still. First thing I am going to check that I’ve gotten just the 32-bit as well.

Thanks again for your time!

Stephen

You can also try putting them in your plug-ins folder: Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\audacity\Plug-Ins

See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_windows.html#vst_install

Peter.

And do I assume you have a 1000cc Aprilia bike (if so - respect) - I have a Triumph 675 Street Triple R