Very slow export after adding music

Hello,

I’ve recorded some audio and have added a very small sample of music to the beginning as an intro. I imported the entire music track into audacity (dragged the mp3 in) and then cut it down to be around ~10 seconds. I have reduced its volume and added a fade, which fades out and then the “main” audio track begins. However, after doing this, exporting becomes extremely slow (The estimated time just keeps increasing, I see no bar progress at all). Previously, exporting this track would take around ~3-5 minutes. I’m confused as the music track portion is, like I said, maybe 10 seconds max. The entire audio track is about an hour long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Using Audacity 2.1.2
On Windows 10

You should know that every time you do something or take some action, Audacity makes an accurate copy of The Whole World for UNDO. It doesn’t just back up the tiny change you made.

Also, MP3s don’t stay MP3 inside Audacity. They turn into super high quality sound files and stay that way through the course of the edit. So whatever you’re doing is many, many times larger and more bulky than you think.

So on a first, fresh guess, I’d say you were running out of space on your computer. Do a drive or INFO check and see how much room you have. Another thing that can cause problems is running a ton of things at the same time you’re trying to do audio production. Do you leave Skype napping in the background?

Koz

It’s a known bug in 2.1.2 if one track is much longer than the other. It is listed in the 2.1.2 Release Notes. If you just wait, the export will complete in normal time whatever the progress dialogue says. Or, select both tracks then Tracks > Mix and Render.

We have already fixed the bug in our source code so it will be fixed in the next 2.1.3 version when released later this year.

Gale