Version 3.1.1 fails to merge two sections in the same track

Hi,

I use the same process to merge two sections in the same track with Audacity 3.1.1, but it doesn’t work as previous releases did. Here is what I did:

(1) Select/highlight the gap between two sections in the same track
(2) “Generate” → “Silence” to fill the gap with silence
(3) Click the vertical lines (seams) on both sides of the newly filled silence
seams.JPG
However 3.1.1 does not remove the vitical lines (seams) as previous version did.

Can someone please let me know how to properly fill the gap and merge both sections with 3.1.1?

Thanks & regards,
Lee

To show what previous Audacity can do, I go back to version 2.4.2. Video below shows 2.4.2 can properly remove the seams (bold vertical lines) on both sides of the newly-generated silence, and merge two sections togeter.

But Audacity 3.1.1 cannot do it. After generate silence to fill the gap between two sections, it cannot remover the seams. Do I miss any configuration or does 3.1.1 miss the fuction?

Thanks & regards,
Lee

Perhaps you will find this post useful: Joining clips while creating silence between them - #2 by steve

Thank you for the information. Nice to know this issue has been confirmed as a Join code bug.

Screenshot below shows there was a plan to fix it in 3.1.2. Just an FYI… I use 3.1.3 and it still shows the same issue.

Thanks & regards,
Lee

I’m not privy to the release schedule, but I (incorrectly) guessed that the development team would treat this serious bug with urgency and fix it for the following release. The bug is logged, and I am hopeful that they will fix it soon.

Sorry, it’s my bad. The version I currently use is actually the latest release 3.1.1 (not 3.1.3). Let’s wait for 3.1.2 and hope it will fix this issue.

Thanks & regards,
Lee

After install the latest release 3.1.2 that becomes available today, two sections in the same track can be properly merged. Thank you for fixing it!

Regards,
Lee