Varying the volume of tracks

Dear Forum,

First of all, a big thank-you for the help you gave me on my last question. I really appreciate it!

I use Windows 10 and Audacity 2.3.0. I want to vary the volume of one track without affecting the other tracks, and to vary the volume of a section of track without affect the rest of the track. Can I do this with Audacity? How?

Thanks again!

That can probably be done, but what do you man by “tracks”? Is one-track one song or one chapter in a book, played in a sequence?

Or, is one-track the guitar and another track the drums, etc., all playing at the same time? (You need a multi-track recording to do that… If you have a regular (mixed) song you can’t un-mix the sounds.)

You can use the Amplify effect to change the volume of whatever is selected/highlighted. A negative dB “amplification” is attenuation and that will reduce the volume.

Or if you want to adjust one part of a song (etc.) you can use the [u]Envelope Tool[/u] to fade-up or fade-down the part you want to change. If you leave the end-points unchanged and fade you can avoid sudden changes.