I have been using audacity (mostly v1.2.6) to compose a series of radio shows, each one a half-hour long.
I am on my fourth and fifth plays, so I have learned a lot about how the program works and what I have been doing wrong.
Now, however, a new problem has arisen.
Sound just vanishes. Seriously. I will have a scene composed, put together, with music and sound effects and voice, and save and close and when I open it again, half the sound (usually the voice track) has simply vanished. It still appears on the screen, but the sound is not there.
It has not been muted in any way that I can tell (for instance in the track control box at the left hand side), and if I output a wav at that point, any missing sound appears as blanks in the output file. Also, If I use the normalize function, it makes all the visuals for the phantom tracks disappear.
So I have to save endless backup wav files, clogging my computer’s memory, just to make sure I don’t lose anything as I go along, which also makes future editing problematic, since once a track is a wav, I can no loger take out or shift or even adjust volume on individual components (such as sound effects).
It is so incredibly frustrating - every time I think I finally have the latest collected episode mastered, I listen through and a scene or two has just dropped away again.