USB turntable recording with Win 10 new computer

I have Windows 10 and Audacity 2.1.2 from .exe on a brand new Asus laptop. I am using a USB turntable to record records to my hard drive. Everything worked fine on my old desktop computer. With the new computer the sound crackles a ton even on a brand new record, the sound is extremely tinny and i get weird short one second blips of electronic feedback periodically. The turntable is plugged in via USB like it was on the old computer. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

To begin with, make sure you are selecting the USB Audio CODEC for the turntable as the Recording Device in Device Toolbar.

Where are you listening to the recordings when made? Everything will sound tinny in built-in computer speakers.

Don’t Append Record with Transport > Overdub on because that may cause playthrough of previously recorded material (an Audacity bug).

Gale

I do have it set to codec as it was on my last computer. I don’t believe it’s the speakers. If I play it back after recording it sounds the same as when it was recorded.

What is the make and model number of the turntable?

Is the Audacity project rate bottom left 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz? Those are the best two choices usually.

Tinny sound may mean that RIAA equalization is not being applied, but it should be if you are only connecting to the computer with the USB cable. Can you post a sample of the recording that sounds tinny? Please see How to post an audio sample.

Gale