Upgraded to Audacity 3.4.2 experience stutters in recording and playback

Been using Audacity for decades. Just upgraded two windows 10 machines (one home, one pro) to 3.4.2 … have stutters on both recording and playback. Same machines worked fine … upgrade … problem started. Short clips, recording stutters happen just seconds into the recording. Then this morning, playing back previously recorded tracks, same problem in playback.

So again … same hardware that’s been working find … upgraded from old version (2 something?) problem started.

I’m still using 2.3.2 … Old Audacity versions download

If you want more than one version of Audacity on the same machine,
unzip a copy into its own folder, rather than install the “.exe” file.
Then launch from the Audacity icon in that folder.

If you install audacity 2 & 3 on the same machine they will corrupt each other.

This comment taken from another post on this forum:
Unfortunately, right now, Audacity doesn’t work too well on modern high-resolution displays. In particular - the wider the window and the more tracks you have in view - the slower it runs.
I have a serious problem with Audacity stutter on playback (23 sec delay before any replay starts). Initially I am/was blaming an issue with Waves VST3 plugins when the Audacity file has multiple tracks (mine has 39 tracks with up to 6 VST3 plugins on many tracks), however after reading this other post I am now suspicious that the problem is being generated by my 4K-34" monitor. A pity and in urgent need of being addressed if it is monitor related. It’s so much easier to edit on wide screen.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.