UPDATE: Recording direct from phone to PC

Back track - I made a post where I used to plug my phone directly to the 3.5mm pink line in the back of my PC and record phone calls with audacity. It stopped working. No mic audio at all nothing records.

Update: I am still playing with this. Today I went into the device properties for the Realtek High Def audio. When I go to levels and turn the microphone boost all the way up, I can hear it but it sounds like it’s really low level and almost like an old time phone (more like the adults from charlie brown).

Any thoughts on what this could be? I feel like I’m close to a break through.

Here is an MP3 of the test. When I found this file I found other ones and when it worked it was better quality than listening through my phone.

It sounds like you’ve either got a bad lead, bad connections, or you’ve blown the mic input of your sound card.
The signal level from a headphone socket is typically several hundred time greater than the signal from a microphone.

I used to plug my phone directly to the 3.5mm pink line in the back of my PC and record phone calls with audacity.

Blue is line-in and it’s a better match for a headphone signal. Then, make sure to select Line-in as your [u]Recording Device[/u].

Do you normally hear sides of the conversation in your headphones?

…It seems like it would be easier to get a phone recording app. Then (optionally) transfer the files to your computer later.