I just got a new computer and installed a fresh install of Audacity 2.0.5, and the downloaded and installed the Lame DLL from the recommended website via the ‘download now’ button. The following problem that I am describing did not happen on my previous installation, though I do not know exactly what version I had installed. I am running Windows 7 Professional.
I am recording sentences in Arabic that I then export into individual files for my students. I use labels and then “export multiple” to export these files. I fill in the metadata (in Roman characters exclusively) through the Edit Metadata function. I then use ‘export multiple’ set to export MP3 files. It asks me for the metadata for each file, I click through that, but then it throw the following error: “The specified file could not be converted due to unicode character use.” It then pops up a dialog box asking me to rename it. If I hit ‘cancel’ I then get a lengthy error dialog in Japanese (which I cannot read) which I also click through. It moves to the next file and the process repeats. At the end, the files do appear to have been exported correctly, including unicode file names and metadata.
This is a problem I can live with, but would prefer not to have happen. Each time I do this, I export some 20-30 files, so clicking through that ‘error’ dialog is a PITA. I didn’t have this problem on my previous computer.