Unable to get audacity to recognize mic

Hello.

I just bought the Blue Snowball iCE microphone to do voiceovers for my gameplay. Brought it home, plugged it in, and ever since I’ve done that I get an error on Audacity when I try to record saying “Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and project sample rate.” I’ve verified that it is the default recording device in the control panel, and I’ve also tried restarting. Not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

It could be a sample rate conflict in Windows. The USB cable could even be loose or defective.

Please go through all the suggestions here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_errors.html#sound_device .

Gale

My snowball requires mono recording instead of stereo. It could be as simple as that.

Are you expecting to record game music in addition to your voice? I don’t know that Audacity will do that, although it will record your voice alone.

Koz

Does it explicitly give “error opening sound device” if you set Audacity recording channels to stereo? In that case it might be worth noting that in the Frequently Asked Question as a possible explanation.

That said, a glance at the Audacity search results shows that some people using Snowballs seem to record in stereo, on both Mac and Windows.

Gale