Transferring Cassette Tape to Windows Media Library

I have used Audacity to transfer my cassette tapes onto the computer and saved as an audacity file then exported to a folder and saved as a Wave Sound ( file ends with .wav) as the instructions said. So far brilliant! I then copy this folder into My Music folder (- which Windows Media Player monitors for media files). I then use WMP and expect to see my new music within WMP library but don’t. Can anyone suggest an easy way to resolve this? I use windows XP. Many thanks.
Glyndwr

Personally I’d recommend upgrading to a better media player, but other than that;

The first thing to check is that the wav file is where you think it is and check that it plays.
Navigate to the location of the file in explorer (file browser) and double click on the wav file. Does it play correctly.

If it does then perhaps one of the suggestions here will help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/songs-do-not-appear-in-the-windows-media-player/a6e80b2e-7367-4529-9dab-5a38ba4167a5

Thanks Steve for your response. I followed your advice - the files/folders are where they should be and they do play. I have then followed your link where there are several detailed answers- before i go down that path-which media player would you upgrade to? And presumably it would be easier for me to manage?

Personally I use iTunes (downloadable for free - and you don’t need to have an iPod).

But Steve hates iTunes - he regards it as resource-hungry bloat-ware :slight_smile:

However I find it works well on both my PCs: old DEll desktop with XP-HE and new Tosh laptop with W7 64-bit

WC

On Windows I usually use Foobar2000. It depends what you want though.

Yes I think iTunes is resource-hungry bloat-ware, but it does have very extensive library management. It’s also convenient if you use an iPod.

Foobar2000 on the other hand is much lighter and leaner, will play just about any audio format, but has more rudimentary library management. If a pretty interface is important to you, you won’t like Foobar2000 as it is very plain. If a really good audio player, fast to open and light on resources is the main thing, then you will probably love it.

Other options include WinAmp, VLC and Media Monkey (the “Gold” version of Media Monkey is commercial, non-free).

WinAmp is “skinable” to provide a wide range of pretty interfaces and there are loads of plug-ins available for it - if you like to see pretty patterns dancing to the music, this is the one. It also has pretty good library management and lots of other features.

VLC is a powerful, free media player with excellent support for both audio and video formats. I often use this as my default video player. Again it is pretty lightweight but does not really do library management.

Media Monkey has very powerful media management and excellent support for different file types. It is the “heaviest” of these three but still a lot lighter than WMP or iTunes. This page lists the differences between the free and the pay versions: MediaMonkey » Download